• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

i want to buy my first tarantula is the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens a good first tarantula?

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member
You're making a bit of a mistake, going after incredibly good looks, but not appreciating that after you get tired of staring at it, it's just gong to be something else sitting in a glass or plastic box someplace out of the way.

When I was considering marrying a girl so many years ago, I almost made the same mistake. Then my mother (of all people!) said, "Stan, next time you two are out on a date, look really deeply into her eyes and tell me what you see."

I did. And all I saw was the inside back of her skull. Nothing in between. Some months later I met Marguerite. We "lived in sin" for over a decade, then got married and continued to enjoy each others' company another 35 years.

Imagine that I'm your mother. Pick something laid back, friendly, maybe handleable, easy to care for, very hardy, long lived, maybe pretty but not necessarily neon-glow-in-the-dark. My personal favorite for a beginner would be a curlyhair (Tliltocatl (Brachypelma) albopilosus). As a bonus, they're even a little intelligent!

Important: Do your best to get a female! (Regardless of what kind you get.) Either wait until you can buy a guaranteed female from a dealer, or buy 3 of the cheapest babies you can find.

Why 3 you ask? Because that way you'll have 7 chances out of 8 of getting at least female.

What do you do with the extras, once you've picked a for-sure female? Keep them anyway, or give them or sell them to your buddies or anyone else who shows an interest.

Enjoy your newfound, eight-legged, little buddy!

Latest posts