• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I really think my B smith can smell

tapkoote

3 Year Member
A while back he took a dead meal worm that laid over night.
Today I find my two crickets who were alive two days ago, expired. So I dropped them in, an hour later he's got one and feeding. He was in the cave, must have noticed me fooling around, may realize if i do that he's getting water or food. I'll have to watch carefully if it comes up again.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
They will scavenge when they have to, not sure if they smell necessarily but they can definitely since any prey live or dead. I feed pre killed to all mine till they get about .75" or so. Never fed my big ones anything pre killed but im sure they'd take if they had too.

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Alright I give up, being new, I've always hoped spiders could smell, but he didn't take the first dead cricket, it bounced off to the side.. I think he heard/felt the big, second one, fall out of the sky.
And hungry ate the dead body.
But tonight he took one and then another,(who was dum enough to hang around the cave opening) both were alive at one point and both are in the cave now. This guy is a lion in the small world.