1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I hate mites.......

Discussion in 'General Tarantula Discussion' started by Enn49, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Enn49

Enn49 Moderator Staff Member Premium Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

…...but at least I got to photograph a couple of burrowers that I don't normally see.
    They were just those little white mites that appear when the substrate gets too wet but it was easier to rehouse onto dry sub that to wait until the old stuff dried out. All 4 of these Ts either web their water bowl, fill them with sub or tip them over.

Gao, the Hysterocrates sp Hercules was being stubborn, a nudge with the brush had no effect whatsoever. Once in its new home it began digging immediately. DSCF8483.JPG
    DSCF8489.JPG
    Chad, Hysterocrates gigas
    DSCF8486.JPG
    Putani, Thrixopelma pruriens
    DSCF8491.JPG
    Orinoco, Dolichothele exilis
    DSCF8487.JPG
    RonC, ilovebrachys and Dave Jay like this.
  2. ilovebrachys

ilovebrachys Well-Known Member

lovely pics of your Ts @Enn49 mites are a pain in the butt,no 100% way of stopping them for sure ;-( we try our very best though....
  3. Enn49

Thank you. At least these aren't as bad as snake mites.
    ilovebrachys likes this.
  4. ilovebrachys

don't mention snake mites lol only thing is with the snakes they can be sprayed and treated-no such thing for our Ts :)
    Dave Jay likes this.
  5. Enn49

@ilovebrachys Now I only have 2 snakes at least I know they're clear but now I have Ts I can't use any insect killers even for house flies.
    Dave Jay and ilovebrachys like this.
  6. ilovebrachys

I I know that feeling-anyone wants to use any sort of spray I make them go outside! lol god knows what the neighbours think :D
    Dave Jay likes this.
  7. Major 78

Major 78 Well-Known Member

I've heard mites can be a pain in the a**!!! I've kept hundred of inverts now, luckily never had them. Probably cause my apartment douses the yard with insecticides every few months haha. Not bringing any inverts out there!

I have... A HIGHLY theoretical solution to ANYONES mite problem. It's an old antkeepers trick, @Dave Jay knows what I'm talking about. It's called... Lemon Therapy. Essentially you put a lemon (take of the shell/skin since that is where stores spray insecticides) into your tarantulas enclosure. Do not put in water bowl or in hide, just in the foraging area. Put several slices. Not like slices of an apple shape, but like the circle slices you do with cucumbers. I'm fairly sure this would work with most citrus fruits, but I can't be certain without several tests and trials. Once lemon is placed, let it sit without moving it for a few days, during this period it is optional to remove your T from his or her enclosure in the mean time. DO NOT let it rot OR mold. As son as that happens, replace the slice with a fresh one. Continue UNTILL mites are gone. If it doesn't work in 4 days then give up on this and try something new. Good luck!
    Dave Jay, Enn49 and ilovebrachys like this.
  8. Enn49

3 hours after rehousing I find Putani, the Thrixopelma pruriens, has flipped on top of the as yet unfilled water bowl/

DSCF8492.JPG
  9. ilovebrachys

What a strange place to flip! Anywhere goes I suppose...:)
    Dave Jay likes this.
  10. Enn49

Its water bowl in the old container was completely webbed over and it would sit there most of the time so I'm guessing the moult was to close for it to have time to web so just flipped there anyway. I hope it's finished in time for me to fill that bowl before bedtime :)
    Dave Jay, Major 78 and ilovebrachys like this.
  11. ilovebrachys

hopefully :) and then we can see the moult! it is a pain when they web over there water bowls -but then Ts know best:D
    Dave Jay, Major 78 and Enn49 like this.