• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I guessing this is a male G. pulchripes.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
So, I recently added this roughly 4" G. pulchripes to my budding collection. I suspect based on my novice ventral sexing ability that it is a male. It seems to have that arch that males have and the line between the first set of book lungs seems straighter than I think a female would have.
20211026_151050.jpg

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Maybe I should have included a question. As far as ventral sexing, am I correct? Is the picture sufficient? What is the meaning of life?

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Maybe I should have included a question. As far as ventral sexing, am I correct? Is the picture sufficient? What is the meaning of life?
I can't commit without a decent molt but check this link: https://arachnoboards.com/gallery/ventral-sexing-g-pulchripes.57580/
The picture there looks similar to yours but it might not be helpful as the comments go both ways, sorry.
For the second question:

1635446944630.png

P.S: if you do not have the equipment, on its next molt, separate the abdomen skin from the cephalothorax (use scissors or a scalpel) as high as you can and put it as flat as you can without damaging it on a piece of paper. Once dry cover it with another piece of paper and send it to me in an regular envelop. I'll put it under a microscope and can send you a picture :)
We could organize the first T gender reveal party!!!!!

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I did buy a digital microscope , just have not tried it yet. A bit lazy and a bit busy. It may be a bit before a molt. Not sure just got it. Looks plump enough and refusing food... But cooler temperatures so I think that may slow things down. Thanks for the offer though.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks!
here is what I thought. The "lips" look a little curved like a female, I think, but it looked like an arch or triangle above that I think is male. Unfortunately I had to use a flash as the light was behind her and the first picture was a big dark blob. With movement and the flash, not everything came clear. I will wait for a molt.

Latest posts