• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

US I am looking for the most Aggressive/Defensive species. I will buy right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silly

I am looking for the most Aggressive/Defensive species. I am a newbie and i just bought 3 tarantulas from jamies spiders before i found this forum. I bought a Brazilian white knee female, cobalt blue sling, and an OBT sling.

I want a super aggressive tarantula like a Thailand black or something comparable. I am not looking to handle them, but i like to be entertained during feeding time.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Doozer

3 Year Member
Are you sure you are ready for old worlds. They are super fast and you will have to rehouse them at some point. Plus most of my new worlds nail their food harder than my old worlds. Old worlds should be respected. Imo

Doozer

3 Year Member
Hemolymp I think you are right most true collectors call them by their scientific names anyway.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Young-Jack-Nicholson-Cant-Stop-Laughing-Facepalm.gif

E

ExMember

If you are looking for crazy feeding responses you already have the best! Acanthoscurria geniculata for the win!

Craziest old world that I have seen are the cobalt blue. Not sure of the feeding response but I met a guy that got tagged while doing maintenance and he ended up in the hospital. And had horrible symptoms for weeks afterwards. Poor guy can't even look at tarantulas any more :( I went to the shop he works at and asked to see the Brachypelma klaasi they had and the poor dude was shaking holding the enclosure:( :( :(

Silly

By looking at your name you look and sound like a troll. I’ll help you out but you gotta come back and tell us how bad it freaking hurt.

Heteroscodra maculata
Stomatopelma calceatum

why would you assume im a troll? cuz im new? im new to the hobby. i already bought a female 2 inch geniculata. i also got 2 baby slings, a OBT and a Cobalt Blue.

I really want a Minax? What do you guy s think?

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
why would you assume im a troll? cuz im new? im new to the hobby. i already bought a female 2 inch geniculata. i also got 2 baby slings, a OBT and a Cobalt Blue.

I really want a Minax? What do you guy s think?
Your name and experience level requesting spiders that will help you end up in the emergency room. Most trolls come on here just like you doing the same thing. Not to mention that stressing out the spider seams to amuse you. That’s why.

Silly

Your name and experience level requesting spiders that will help you end up in the emergency room. Most trolls come on here just like you doing the same thing. Not to mention that stressing out the spider seams to amuse you. That’s why.
Firstly, im not a troll. 2nd, its funny that you mention the ED, because im actually an emergency department nurse. But besides that, its not nice to call newbies trolls simply because i want a tarantula with a good feeding response. I did my homework and i think i can handle an aggressive T. Im not looking to handle it. Why would you also assume that i would.be stressing the T if i provide it with everything it needs?

I looked up the 2 spiders you suggested btw.. looks pretty cool.

Last edited:

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
I did my homework and i think i can handle an aggressive T.
When you use the term “aggressive” it can strike a nerve with experienced hobbyists. Tarantulas can be defensive but not aggressive. When you feed, water or do tank maintenance you are coming into their territory and they feel threatened.
Why would you also assume that i would.be stressing the T if i provide it with everything it needs?
A majority of the high strung, defensive species that you are interested in are burrowers. If you put them in an enclosure with enough room, and substrate, you probably aren’t going to see them as often as you would like. I think other members may be worried that you will harass your tarantulas in order to see them act defensively.

As a new keeper I would recommend either:
. Grow as a hobbyist with your slings. As they get larger you will need to learn how to safely rehouse and care for them. Your lividus and obt will slowly gain their speed and defensive temperaments, and you will adapt to these challenges over time.
2. Get an adult of a calmer genus first. Learn how to rehouse and practice good habits like always using tongs for feeding and tank maintenance. Then buy a larger defensive t when you feel confident in your skill level as a hobbyist.

Silly

When you use the term “aggressive” it can strike a nerve with experienced hobbyists. Tarantulas can be defensive but not aggressive. When you feed, water or do tank maintenance you are coming into their territory and they feel threatened.

A majority of the high strung, defensive species that you are interested in are burrowers. If you put them in an enclosure with enough room, and substrate, you probably aren’t going to see them as often as you would like. I think other members may be worried that you will harass your tarantulas in order to see them act defensively.

. Grow as a hobbyist with your slings. As they get larger you will need to learn how to safely rehouse and care for them. Your lividus and obt will slowly gain their speed and defensive temperaments, and you will adapt to these challenges over time.
2. Get an adult of a calmer genus first. Learn how to rehouse and practice good habits like always using tongs for feeding and tank maintenance. Then buy a larger defensive t when you feel confident in your skill level as a hobbyist.

Thanks for the explanation FishermanSteve. Thats a much better response to a new member looking for advise, unlike that other guy who judges right away without knowing anything and assumes this and that....

Imo, keeping a T isnt nearly as difficult as for example, keeping a dog. Since im not handling the T, I feel that as a newbie, I can keep the more difficult ones. I also understand that I wont be feeding them and playing with them everyday since they will most likely be in their burrows so there goes the assumption that I will be stressing them.

Since i already have an OBT, Lividus, and Geniculata, I will be learning as I go. I am looking to buy a Minax or a H Mac if anyone has any for sale. I can pay right away.

Thank you for any other advise. :D

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Theres lots of tarantulas without medically significant venom that have much better feeding responses.
As for not handling them makes you believe a newbie can keep them....wrong.
They can bolt out of their burrows and out of the enclosure before you can react.
You dont put a toddler on a bike without first using training wheels.

Silly

Theres lots of tarantulas without medically significant venom that have much better feeding responses.
As for not handling them makes you believe a newbie can keep them....wrong.
They can bolt out of their burrows and out of the enclosure before you can react.
You dont put a toddler on a bike without first using training wheels.

So instead of insisting that only experienced keepers can have a venomous T that can bolt, please explain what YOU would do, as an experienced person in this hobby, something that a newbie like myself CANT DO, if your T bolts from its enclosure!?!?!?!?!?!

Silly

I came here asking for advise on the more aggressive/defensive Ts. I didnt come here looking for trouble or to be a troll. I dont get why all the negative responses.

Its funny how everyone assumes and insists that I cant keep the more difficult Ts.

I would love to hear from all the experienced keepers, what you guys do so differently that would enable you to keep a difficult T. Something that I cant also do. Lol.?

To be honest, this is simply a Tarantula. Its not rocket science..... Im not here trying to pet my T or to play with it and have it entertain me everyday..... This is simply a side hobby i got interested in since i saw how low maintenance they are...

Last edited:

Silly

As for the troll thing...yes we get alot of trolls asking the same thing you are. I have to agree that your user name doesnt help...View attachment 43417

So your calling me stupid? Instead of answering my legit question, you change the subject instead. Why dont you answer my question?

BTW "ArachnoClown" , your name also can say alot about your character. HAHA.

clown
(kloun) noun
1. Someone who is a joke
2. Someone who thinks they are important but messes everything up

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So your calling me stupid? Instead of answering my legit question, you change the subject instead. Why dont you answer my question?

BTW "ArachnoClown" , your name also can say alot about your character. HAHA.

clown
(kloun) noun
1. Someone who is a joke
2. Someone who thinks they are important but messes everything up
No...you actually are calling yourself.

Silly

No...you actually are calling yourself.

ROFL Clown, sure thing! You talk about of smack, but cant back it up. Still avoided my question, because you know this isnt rocket science. You just feel like sounding important and making yourself look better than a newbie.....

What ever happened to starting a toddler on train wheels before a bike?!? Cant explain?

Its okay that you cant, because these are Tarantulas! We arent taking care of Exotic Monkeys! HAHAHA!!!..

Silly

I guess im done here and I already answered my own question with the T's that im looking for. Thank you old heads for putting a newbie down instead of helping me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts