• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hypersensitivity Reaction to Some T's??

hellknite

3 Year Member
Hi guys. Just opted to share this experience. I just decided to rehouse my 7inch female vulpinus and I successfuly did but here I am at the hospital swollen with red marks and with a headache. It must have been the urticating hairs. I have been doing this for almost 5 years yet this was the 1st time I had this reaction. This was also the 1st time I rehoused my vulpinus since she is always on berzerk even just by opening the enclosure. I was wearing a pair of rubber gloves, a face mask, and safety goggles. I didn't even see her flick. Anyway, still I do not regret anything. I love my T's.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1428293448443.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1428293448443.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • uploadfromtaptalk1428295104840.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1428295104840.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 41

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry to hear that, I hope it doesn't last too long. It's possibly that previously flicked hair were mixed in with the old substrate and you have disturbed them.

Ghost

3 Year Member
It makes you wonder that after 5 years of keeping T's why you would suddenly have a reaction to the hairs,I wonder if its just that species of T.

Please keep us informed how long symptoms last...

hellknite

3 Year Member
It makes you wonder that after 5 years of keeping T's why you would suddenly have a reaction to the hairs,I wonder if its just that species of T.

Please keep us informed how long symptoms last...
I'm also on the impression that it's some species of T's with the fact that urticating hairs vary... it's the 3rd day and inflammation has subsided..

Chris Vogel

3 Year Member
Were you wearing full length arm gloves? You didn't have a reaction to those instead of the spider did you? I know some people have sensitivies to types of rubber and latex.

R.NUTT

3 Year Member
Vulpinus looks like it is very eager to urticate hairs considering how hairy it is, likelihood is it has some pretty nasty hairs if it chucks them about willy nilly XD

BossRoss

3 Year Member
Apparently, according to more experienced keepers, one will actually become more susceptible to irritation/reaction from urcitatiing hairs over time.

Also keep in mind that those tiny little hairs are every where inside the cage and rehousing when you disturb all the husbandry items and substrate can cause these hairs to go flying around the room you are in and cause a reaction.

Latest posts