• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Huntsman spider care

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi,

I have recently got a Heteropoda javana named Lorax. However I cannot find much information online on how to care for them, beyond the species info on the Spider Shop website.

In particular I wondered whether it is advisable to give true spiders of this size a water dish? Her leg-span is about 4-5cm. And is it recommended to mist them every day?

I have been feeding her small red runners every 3 days or so. Any extra info about this species would be appreciated! E.g. I am curious how big they are meant to get. The spider shop says 8cm leg span however she is already a sub-adult, so I wondered if she is nearly full size already.

Thanks if you can help!

Here is a picture of Lorax, I love how permanently grumpy he looks :p (He is a she biologically haha but I see him as male). Also attached is a picture of his enclosure. At the moment I have a water dish but am just keeping it so there is a trickle of water in it.

DSC08475 - Copy.JPG DSC08488 - Copy.JPG

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Huntsman spiders are quite simple to care for. You almost can't kill them if you tried. This is true for all species. A tarantula terrestrial setup is fine with a water dish. They are active hunters, but they will adapt to many conditions, even spin webs and become ambush predators. They are also easy to mate. Just throw a male in with Lorax and they will live happily ever after and make flat egg sacks. Hope this helps!

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Huntsman spiders are quite simple to care for. You almost can't kill them if you tried. This is true for all species. A tarantula terrestrial setup is fine with a water dish. They are active hunters, but they will adapt to many conditions, even spin webs and become ambush predators. They are also easy to mate. Just throw a male in with Lorax and they will live happily ever after and make flat egg sacks. Hope this helps!

Thank you for that info! :)

Latest posts