• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Howdy! New Texan here. I need some advice.

BriansWife

Back in 2011, I was living in Vancouver, Washington.
My son excitedly brought home a tarantula from a friend's house. Neither of us had ever had a tarantula before, so we googled.
The friend said his mother insisted he could not get any more spiders until he got rid of at least one.
The one that came to live with us was a Chilean Rosehair, G. rosea. She was our, ah, test model. She endured quite a bit while we learned the ins and outs of housing and handling a large spider. Along the way, I lost my fear of arachnids and actually came to enjoy caring for her.
We named her Mabel.
Then I got married in 2015. My husband and I got a cat, and the cat took an unhealthy interest in Mabel. We decided that Mabel would be happier with a friend who already had 2 similar spiders.
In the middle of 2018, we decided to move to Texas and start a new life. We bought a house. I began to study the spiders in the area.
The guy we bought this house from, Mr. Riggs, had purchased a home to retire to in Brenham, Texas. We became friends. His new house is situated on a little hill known locally as Tarantula Hill. Turns out, that is no idle moniker. I informed Mr. Riggs of my affection for large arachnids.
A few days ago Mr. Riggs brought me a big ol' spider in a big ol' jar.
I have my suspicions, but I really don't know what species this guy is. I have been able to determine that this is indeed a male, and it is a tarantula. After that ... I'm really not sure. I am guessing he is around 2, for he seems to be sexually mature and ready to seek a mate. He might actually have been on that errand when he was captured by Mr. Riggs.
Despite the quality of this image, this spider is completely and utterly black. The only areas that are not black are the ventral side of the chelicerae and the fangs, which are a reddish color, and the urticating hairs, which are a deep brown.
This photo was taken through the side of the enclosure I kept against the arrival of one of Mr. Riggs spiders.
We now have five very small dogs who were rescued, three cats who really don't care, and this spider. I have named him Elmer. He never comes when called.
Can anyone give me a clue as to what species he might be? Is there a website you would recommend I visit?
DSC_0123[1].JPG

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Howdy! Fellow Texas lady, here (I live in SC now but originally from Texas). More than likely it would be an Aphonopelma anax or Aphonopelma hentzi. A dorsal picture of the tarantula in some natural light may help to identify it. We could also go off of the region the tarantula was caught in.

BriansWife

Howdy and welcome!

An anterior pic would help (view from top) but if native to TX is probably an Aphonopelma sp.

Check local TX sites like https://texasinsects.tamu.edu/tarantula/
I am fairly certain this is an Aphonopelma sp. The problem is, which one? Is there a tarantula ID key, or some way to ID this guy? Is he going to object if I pick him up? How in the heck do I a take a picture of him without letting him loose in the house?
I've only ever owned a Chilean Rosehair - Grammostola rosea.
This feller is wild. But I suspect there really isn't a lot of difference between wild behavior and 'tame' behavior among spiders.
My point is, I would like to correctly ID him. I am going to try to collect a female from the same area this guy was found in, and I'd like to know if she is going to be difficult to care for, or as easy as this guy. And I'd also like to know, definitively, what species these are.

BriansWife

I am fairly certain this is an Aphonopelma sp. The problem is, which one? Is there a tarantula ID key, or some way to ID this guy? Is he going to object if I pick him up? How in the heck do I a take a picture of him without letting him loose in the house?
[/QUOTE}

I clicked on the link and was able to find my local County Extension Agency. I have emailed them. Perhaps they have someone who could examine this guy and help me ID him.
Thank you!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Take some.overhead pics when the T is on the floor of the enclosure. It's not easy to ID from the one pic you posted of it on the glass