• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How small is too small?

shaun

3 Year Member
Been reading loads about enclosure size, common advice seems to be 3x the T but occasionally info suggests that we maybe providing too much room for a T who really doesn't need or care.
A lot of google searches end up on arachnoboard, where people have LOTS to say, and are often quite rude.
Just want opinion on what is acceptable. For example, exo terra make a 20x20x20. The next size up ( apart from the nano tall) is 30x30x30. Quite a difference!

shaun

3 Year Member
Taken from a website:
"The cage that you keep your tarantula in would be considered too small if it does not have enough room to adequately fit a decent hide for the size of the spider.

Additionally, a container can be too small if the spider barely has room to dig a burrow (for terrestrials and fossorial species) or to web around the top (for arboreals).

As long as your tarantula has enough room for a nice piece of cork bark, a small water dish, and enough substrate to retain soil moisture, then you’re probably doing everything correctly in terms of enclosure size."

This leans towards the theory that they actually need very little space

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Only reacting to the thread title...

1632856958120.png

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Shaun,
This is a highly triggering subject, almost as much as how much substrate is needed :p
Not judging anyone and just sharing my basic setups:
  1. For terrestrial regular size Ts I use Herpcult 2x8x6
  2. For terrestrial larger size Ts I use Exo-Terra 12x12x12
  3. For terrestrial jumbo size Ts I use Exo-Terra 24x18x12
  4. For normal size arboreal Ts I use Exo-Terra 8x8x12
  5. For larger size arboreal Ts I use Exo-Terra 12x12x18
  6. For jumbo size arboreal Ts I use Exo-Terra 12x12x24 paludarium
  7. Last but not least, for deep burrowers I use Herpcult 8x8x12
Hoping this helps, cheers.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
But seriously, I have found that keeping slings in slightly smaller enclosures makes them a little more secure and easier to monitor feeding.

As they grow into juveniles, I tend to upgrade they're housing until finally as adults they have the correct size enclosure for their species.

I always honor species-specific requirements like arboreal versus terrestrial versus fossorial-oriented enclosures, regardless of size.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
Also the tarantula individual temperament and feeding habits is often taken in mind when choosing enclosure size.If the tarantula is voracious eater will have no problem living in bigger enclosure but I have few really picky eaters that I keep in enclosures on the small side and vary sparsely decorated to ensure they can catch their food as the tarantula won't touch pre killed feeders
Regards Konstantin