• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How old is too old?

Nephrite

Male tarantulas have limited amount of time where they are able to mate with females.

Females seem to have much more time from when they mature to close to their life span.

I’m aware that there’s a “sweet spot” of when a female tarantula is best ready to mate?

I know that younger female tarantulas tend to produce lesser quality egg sacs. But how about for say an 9 year old mature female tarantula. Is that too old where it might affect the success of the egg?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It would depend on the species I guess in terms of maturity as it varies with there different growth rates...
I don't know that there's an upper age limit for females as if they don't feel able they just simply won't breed I would imagine? :)

Nephrite

It would depend on the species I guess in terms of maturity as it varies with there different growth rates...
I don't know that there's an upper age limit for females as if they don't feel able they just simply won't breed I would imagine? :)
Lets say a brachypelma species. Would 9 years be a good period for this slow growing species?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lets say a brachypelma species. Would 9 years be a good period for this slow growing species?
For example brachypelma hamorii females can mature at around 8-10 years so I'd say longer than 9 years before attempting breeding, that being said if the female is of appropriate size it could be earlier... In my opinion I think it's more about getting the condition right for breeding rather than focusing on the age of the female as everything has to be perfect for a successful breeding attempt and some Ts can benefit from being 'conditioned' prior to breeding so environmental conditions are important :)

Nephrite

For example brachypelma hamorii females can mature at around 8-10 years so I'd say longer than 9 years before attempting breeding, that being said if the female is of appropriate size it could be earlier... In my opinion I think it's more about getting the condition right for breeding rather than focusing on the age of the female as everything has to be perfect for a successful breeding attempt and some Ts can benefit from being 'conditioned' prior to breeding so environmental conditions are important :)
That’s really good advice thanks!