• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How my T stirmi cage works. + another awesome cage

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is one way to do a cage for this advanced species if you live in a place that is way too cold for tropical animals like tarantulas. My situation is somewhat unique but not unheard of.

** Please PM me before linking this to any other forum first. ** Let's just keep this on tarantula forum for now.

Sadly enough, I had some problems getting my Lasiodora klugi feeding video hooked to this one.

Other considerations are the size of the T and it's fangs. If your are bitten, the injection itself will be much deeper then your skin. It'll be well within your muscle and the amount of venom will likely be much more by volume then with others. I'm sure that the pain will likely be massive as well & sure don't want to find out !!

I haven't been able to confirm this, but if the swelling or tissue damage is severe enough, you might contract compartment syndrome or even gangrene, in theory.

The hairs are no joke & you need a plan to deal with them. The temperament is much more like an old world species overall, but she still does emerge on a regular basis. Even my H pulchripes was more visible.

The screen is bonded, which almost eliminates the risk of injury from hanging by one leg or falling.

They do NOT need to eat vertebrates. The occasional Earth worm or horn worm is greatly appreciated. I only do this once per month and the first post molt meal.

They eat crickets, multiple roach species, even meal worms and superworms, plenty of variety without feeder mice. They'll eat practically everyday if you let them. I only feed two large or 3 normal size meals per week.

This is an advanced species for those who believe in the ladder system. For the rest of us, it requires extensive research and building the cage ahead of time. It's not impossible, just more finicky.

This is also another cage, not mine, that another keeper used for his Lasiodora parahybana. There's nothing wrong with using an expensive cage for an affordable tarantula.

I just love this thing, puts mine to shame. His lights are fluorescent which means they throw off some heat but far less then mine.

He also uses fans for ventilation. I did use some of his ideas for doing mine.

T stirmi Mini me molts 6.jpg
T stirmi heat elements and pads.jpg
Mini me cage moss 2.jpg

Enjoy the videos & pics !!

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The other thing with this is that Terra Blue professional makes a 12x24x6 long cage similar to that one but slightly bigger.

Either the cage I used or the Terra Blue can probably be put into a rack easily. The lid must be retained and it must slide forward and back. I don't use racks but it's easy to see how well it would work.

Of course you must probably use identical cages.

Last edited:

Latest posts