• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long to wait before feeding?

HeavyFuel

Hi all, how long should one wait before attempting to feed a new T. Got my first one today and assuming its like my lizards. Leave them at least 24hrs to settle in before attempting to feed?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have heard of people who offer food within an hour of getting a new T & have it taken. It certainly does no harm to offer food. But leaving it 24 hours will certainly not do any harm & personally I do not leave live food in with a new T, until I have had it for several days. And I normally feed new T's, when ever my next feeding day is, unless it's the same day, that I got a T. If I get a T on feeding day, I just leave it a few days & then offer it something. If it's taken within a couple of hours, then great. If not, I remove it & then offer again on the next feeding day, leaving live food for 24 hours & then removing it, if not eaten as I do for all my T's.

My small slings get beheaded mealworms, everything else gets live food. And with new T's, if something of appropriate size is declined, I tend to offer smaller prey next time. And have found several heroic T's, including one of my wifes pokies, who we have found will only take smaller prey.

HeavyFuel

I have heard of people who offer food within an hour of getting a new T & have it taken. It certainly does no harm to offer food. But leaving it 24 hours will certainly not do any harm & personally I do not leave live food in with a new T, until I have had it for several days. And I normally feed new T's, when ever my next feeding day is, unless it's the same day, that I got a T. If I get a T on feeding day, I just leave it a few days & then offer it something. If it's taken within a couple of hours, then great. If not, I remove it & then offer again on the next feeding day, leaving live food for 24 hours & then removing it, if not eaten as I do for all my T's.

My small slings get beheaded mealworms, everything else gets live food. And with new T's, if something of appropriate size is declined, I tend to offer smaller prey next time. And have found several heroic T's, including one of my wifes pokies, who we have found will only take smaller prey.
Thats great. Thanks. As it is my first T. I just didn't want to stress
it out to much. Although this little bugger seems to have no worries and looks fairly laid back.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thats great. Thanks. As it is my first T. I just didn't want to stress
it out to much. Although this little bugger seems to have no worries and looks fairly laid back.

Basically there is no right or wrong answer. Every T is different & what works for some, does not work for others. For me, it is about minimising disturbance & giving the little ones, the time to settle in.

HeavyFuel

Basically there is no right or wrong answer. Every T is different & what works for some, does not work for others. For me, it is about minimising disturbance & giving the little ones, the time to settle in.
Well, I Dropped a cricket in and the T was on it before it hit the floor. Lol.
Now its decided its going to start to web up its enclosure before the cricket had even stopped twitching. Lol

Latest posts