• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long do you leave the feeder in the enclosure?

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hello,

I have read that you should remove any uneaten food after 24 hours, however I have seen lots of videos where the owner is offering the insect to the tarantula then taking it straight out again if it doesn't eat within a minute or so. Also, what happens when a cricket falls down the T's hole but you are not sure if it was eaten or not? I worry about pestering her with crickets if she doesn't want them, but then once it has fallen down I don't want to invade. If she is unhappy with it will she push it out again? I have seen her moving around outside of her hide quite a lot within the last few hours so I don't think she is molting, but what if she is in premolt and the cricket bothers her?

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
you can leave it for 24h as some are shy eaters and will feed at night when there is less disturbance. A lot of videos are mainly for entertainment purposes and need to be taken with a pinch of salt.
If you think your spider may be in premoult crush the head before offering the pray will twitch for ages so it will send the spider the signas to find it if hungry.Once any of my spiders refuses food a double the time before I offer next untill Im sure is premoult and then I dont feed till it moults.Not eating is rarely an issue with tarantulas just make sure it has water available.
Regards Konstantin

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi
you can leave it for 24h as some are shy eaters and will feed at night when there is less disturbance. A lot of videos are mainly for entertainment purposes and need to be taken with a pinch of salt.
If you think your spider may be in premoult crush the head before offering the pray will twitch for ages so it will send the spider the signas to find it if hungry.Once any of my spiders refuses food a double the time before I offer next untill Im sure is premoult and then I dont feed till it moults.Not eating is rarely an issue with tarantulas just make sure it has water available.
Regards Konstantin

Thanks very much for that info!