• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how dangerous is p.metallic venom

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Taken with a pinch of salt, as it's from Wikipedia:
Apparently there has never been a human death recorded from this species, but the pain is very extensive and can cause severe swelling. They often distribute a dry bite though to preserve their venom for prey.
From what someone has written in another forum "It's like a bee sting.... only x50!", lol.
As someone told me when I said I wasn't confident enough yet: Just don't get bit, it's not hard! ;)

AsILayDying420

3 Year Member
Damn I was gonna get a p Metallica still will and considered handling it one day if it was somewhat calm and not aggressive. Seems almost not worth the risk though. Those bites look like no fun.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
i was talking to the guy at my local reptile shop a few weeks ago abought Ts venom, he told me that a few years ago he got tagged of his female p,metalica, he said the bite was painfull for abought an hour but once the venom got into his system he had convulsions / dizziness / vomiting / cramping (in the arm) for nearly three weeks after the bite.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My little one, it's about 2inches now, Varies from calm to skittish. Some days it will be on the lid and I can remove the lid, turn it over and get some great photos of it and then the next it will run all over the place at amazing speed but luckily it has never shown any sign of aggression nor attempted an escape.

CourtneyG

3 Year Member
I bet the pain is nothing compared to a pygmy rattle snake bite, if my P. metalica bit me I would probably handle the pain by comparing it.

Poec54

3 Year Member
My little one, it's about 2inches now... luckily it has never shown any sign of aggression nor attempted an escape.

They don't at that size. Don't make any conclusions quite yet. Far more people get bitten by Poecs that you'd think possible.