• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Holy Pokie Yield!

N8tive556

3 Year Member
Just wanted to share an after action report to this weekend's Dixie Reptile Show in Alabama.

A report on the show as a whole, kinda disappointing. Was kinda cool to meet new vendors and all but there were a few that were kind of... We'll just say less than informed... And 1 blatant liar... But I digress.
On to the good,
I am happy to say I did find one vendor dedicated to tarantulas, while very knowledgeable, there were some disappointing display decisions made and inconsistencies with sizes and information given over the net. Because of this I will refrain from naming this vendor because I can say while sort of disappointed in the above mentioned issues, you can tell they are the new kids on the block and with any budding business, mistakes and inconsistencies are expected.
This said, I do however plan on possibly doing future business with the vendor if certain aspects change for the better.
Now let's get to the meat of this post. A friend sent me this vendors show availability and I was quite impressed with cost to size ratio so I had an idea going into it what I would see and was excited.
Upon arrival the first thing I noticed was that, what I was looking at was half the size as claimed, but because I an such a sucker for pokies I still bought with out hesitation. Needless to say despite the cons I'm still very happy with my purchases.

The great pokie yield list;

P. formosa
P. miranda
P. smithi
P. tigrinawesseli
P. Vittata

If you went to this show. What'd you think? Please share!

Attachments

• 20170305_011018.jpg
    20170305_011018.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 23

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So N8tive who was the blatant liar? I agree with what you said about new businesses, although 'half the size' points toward drawing in customers rather greedily:) They know us (hobbyists) , they know if we go, we'll most likely buy. But who was the liar? Those kind of folks should be exposed in our hobby as soon as they appear. C'mon, give;) Did someone try to sell a rosea as a baboon or something? :D Congrats, you got some good ones, and it's good to see you on the forum again man!

N8tive556

3 Year Member
So N8tive who was the blatant liar? I agree with what you said about new businesses, although 'half the size' points toward drawing in customers rather greedily:) They know us (hobbyists) , they know if we go, we'll most likely buy. But who was the liar? Those kind of folks should be exposed in our hobby as soon as they appear. C'mon, give;) Did someone try to sell a rosea as a baboon or something? :D Congrats, you got some good ones, and it's good to see you on the forum again man!

The un-informed could not or would not tell me if their inverts were captive bred or imported, however since they couldn't remember they told me they'd just have to assume import. Meanwhile I was thinking thanks for the honesty? The blatant liar was some guy that was telling people he's one of only 6 or 7 people in the us that have managed to breed 'Halloween hissers' in captivity... My confrontational way of being could not contain my need to call him out so I put him on blast... In front of everyone."So you're telling me the sustainable colony my buddy and I have in our back room is what, a myth?!" Defeated he refuse to reply... I don't remember the company, sorry it was skull and something I don't remember. The T dealer, is a reseller however I know where they are getting their stock and I am happy to report they ARE captive bred, my friend I went with said the last show they were at the sizing was accurate and that this may have just been newly received stock for this show talking to them I found out they were not able to bring much due to family health emergencies. Which I have to give a little credit for their honesty in that regard. Thanks Mass it's good to see ya to and it's great to be back

WhiteRabbit

3 Year Member
Lets not forget he brought me home an H. Mac! Shes beautifulllllll. Waiting for a molt to confirm but so far looks like a furrow. We will see. Im glad he enjoyed himself but hes told me i didnt miss out on much due to the small vender list :( nobody had my p.subfusca highland :/

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lets not forget he brought me home an H. Mac! Shes beautifulllllll. Waiting for a molt to confirm but so far looks like a furrow. We will see. Im glad he enjoyed himself but hes told me i didnt miss out on much due to the small vender list :( nobody had my p.subfusca highland :/
For some reason the highland is not as available as the lowland (barra?). They're around though. That and the rufilata and the miranda are on my list. The H macs are gorgeous,, hope you got a female ;)