1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hole in carapace?

Discussion in 'Brachypelma' started by Zarshenyu, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Zarshenyu

Zarshenyu Member

Hello :)

I know that my Albo has this hole in his carapace. But it seems getting bigger (or it is just my imagination since i already checked the photo of my albos from the first day i got him, the size of the hole is same)

I attach the picture of my T below.

Is that normal if tarantula have this hole in his carapace? And is it possible if the hole getting bigger or deeper? What is the function of this hole?

Thank you :T:

Attached Files:

2. Avic

Avic New Member

Hi, don't worry about the indentation on the carapace mate, it's perfectly normal.
    Zarshenyu likes this.
  3. Nunua

Nunua Well-Known Member

It's called a tergal apodeme (also know a central apodeme) and it's a relatively essential part of a carapace anatomy :) Some species, for example Ceratogyrus darlingi, has a "horn" instead of a hole.
    Zarshenyu, Dave Jay and Avic like this.
  4. Zarshenyu

Zarshenyu Member

Aah i see. So glad that it is normal for him :D
    And now i think the hair color on my T is getting dull/pale and become a bit brown, slightly different with another B. Albo that i found in google.
    Is he really okay? Im afraid that he'll get dehydration..

Attached Files:

5. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Well-Known Member

You'll find that most of the stunning tarantula photos were taken soon after moulting when the colours are at their most vibrant, later the colours tone down a bit. As the next moult approaches the colour tends to look darker and the tarantula has a dull appearance . They may also become slower and refuse food. The size of the abdomen is an indicator of dehydration, it should look plump and full, and definitely not wrinkled. Keep a water bowl full and perhaps spray one corner or wall a little bit to leave large droplets. Unless the abdomen looks shrunken and very skinny I wouldn't worry too much , my guess is that your tarantula is probably nearing a moult.
    Zarshenyu and Enn49 like this.
  6. Zarshenyu

Zarshenyu Member

He's still moving as usual. But the new thing is, yesterday is the first day he left a crickets leg. I assume it's because he get full (because i gave him one big crickets 2 day before yesterday. Then yesterday i gave him small crickets again because i have to work for 1 week).

And i think his abdomen is good (i attached the photo). Beside premolt, is there any reason of T color getting dull? Like from what crickets eat can affect T color?
    I'm afraid that he will get sick :'(

I'm really new to Tarantula.. So i will try my best to keep him healthy.

Attached Files:

Dave Jay likes this.
  7. Enn49

Enn49 Moderator Staff Member Premium Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

He looks fine to me. I don't think you have anything to worry about. A T will go a week or more without food.
    Nunua, Dave Jay and Zarshenyu like this.
  8. Zarshenyu

Zarshenyu Member

Is there any certain humidity and temperature for him? Some said that if T in premolt, we should watch carefully about the humidity and temperature
    Dave Jay likes this.
  9. Enn49

Enn49 Moderator Staff Member Premium Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

Humidity isn't important as long as you have a water bowl in the container. I keep my B. albos at normal room temperature, as long as it's warm enough for you to sit in comfortably it'll be warm enough for your T.
    Zarshenyu, Dave Jay and Nunua like this.
  10. Zarshenyu

Zarshenyu Member

Okay then
    Thank you for the info