• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi there - new to everything

Procyonloser

Hello there, I thought this would be a good place to learn about the hobby. I currently only own one female phidippus regius and she's my second pet spider ever (both jumping spiders)

I'm currently looking into tarantula keeping and trying to decide on species - I was initially intrigued by homoeomma chilensis but it sounds like they're hard to come by these days, but their calm friendly attitude appealed to me.

Anyway, I hope to learn more and find something that stands out to me.

Mygalomorphic

Hello! You picked a good forum to start with, I'm new here too but so far everyone has been very kind and helpful. I really lucked out and just stumbled upon a juvenile H. chilensis (sold as Euathlus sp. red then) at a very tiny pet store which has since gone out of business. I paid $40 for her and just a few months later they exploded in popularity and prices skyrocketed and stock dwindled. They really are very laid back and inquisitive.

Definitely check out Brachypelma and Tlitocatl as stated above, they have the same body shape and and can be laid back although mine are all very high strung. Aphonopelma is a good genus too but they share the painfully slow growth rate with H. chilensis.

Procyonloser

Hello! You picked a good forum to start with, I'm new here too but so far everyone has been very kind and helpful. I really lucked out and just stumbled upon a juvenile H. chilensis (sold as Euathlus sp. red then) at a very tiny pet store which has since gone out of business. I paid $40 for her and just a few months later they exploded in popularity and prices skyrocketed and stock dwindled. They really are very laid back and inquisitive.

Definitely check out Brachypelma and Tlitocatl as stated above, they have the same body shape and and can be laid back although mine are all very high strung. Aphonopelma is a good genus too but they share the painfully slow growth rate with H. chilensis.
Thanks for the suggestions!
I'm definitely looking more for temperament than looks, so I figure I can also ask any tarantula breeders in my area about individuals personalities.

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for the suggestions!
I'm definitely looking more for temperament than looks, so I figure I can also ask any tarantula breeders in my area about individuals personalities.
Yes, although unfortunately each spider has its own personality and temperament. I have a few of the "laid back" species and they are huge ****s. Cant really choose sometimes :/

Latest posts