• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi, I want to get my first tarantula: Brachypelma smithi around 2cm big. I don't know what to use as enclosure for small tarantula.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I already have bought enclosure but i think It's too big for small tarantula. Thanks for help.
How big is the enclosure you have bought? Small slings do well in plastic delicups (12oz or 16 oz) with ventilation holes added (make sure holes are small so the sling cannot get out or get stuck)
Or you can use virtually any suitable small plastic container just make sure it has ventilation holes added to it.... Make sure your sling has a decent amount of substrate a hide and a water dish and you will be all good :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's an example of an ideal enclosure... The one you have is too large :) IMG_20200621_203709.jpgIMG_20200621_203732.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
A tarantula should be kept in something approximately 4x it's DLS (diagonal leg span) with no more than 1.5-2x free climbing height to prevent high falls that can injure or kill a tarantula.

Look for something 6-8cm square and fill with packed substrate to reach the 1.5-2x climbing height. Add a hide, starter burrow and water dish/damp moss and you should be good

Latest posts