• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi everyone!

RichCa

Hi everyone. Now that I've moved to Mexico, I've been finding a lot of spiders and recently found a spider I'm trying to figure out the species. My son is in love with all the bugs here...scorpions, beetles, stick bugs, and of course tarantulas!
Lots of great info on this forum and we're looking forward to learning a lot!!!
If anyone knows what kind of tarantula this is, let me know. I know one person mentioned it might be a Aphonopelma mooreae which would be awesome but I'm in Cancun and they are found more north in the desert areas I thought?
20200610_083019.jpg

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Can you take a picture of your tarantula with a "flash"? There should be some light iridescent blue coloring on the femurs and some light green iridescent coloring on the carapace....it won't be as "vivid" in color as it normally is post molt but it will still be there, if it is indeed A. Moorea. You can also use a flashlight to check for this coloration, yourself.

RichCa

Can you take a picture of your tarantula with a "flash"? There should be some light iridescent blue coloring on the femurs and some light green iridescent coloring on the carapace....it won't be as "vivid" in color as it normally is post molt but it will still be there, if it is indeed A. Moorea. You can also use a flashlight to check for this coloration, yourself.
Is this a bit better? I can try again in the morn. I don't see any green though.
20200614_194339.jpg

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nice! Thanks for your help! It seems to like the terrarium I put it in.

You are welcome! Once it molts, wait a couple of days and post a new pic of it here. We will be able to identify it better, then. As of now, I am basing my information on locality. :)

Latest posts