• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi All!

NewSpiderMum

Hi, I'm NewSpiderMum, and as my username suggests, I'm a first-time caretaker for a spider. I hope it's ok that my intro post is a little long!

Legless Larry:
I was outside changing my goldfish's water, when I noticed a big, four-legged spider struggling to climb the wall. I felt sorry for it, knew it probably wouldn't survive alone after losing four legs, so I caught it and made a little home for it.

I believe it's a giant house spider, and I'm guessing it's male because I read that the males wander at this time of year in search for a mate, so I named him Legless Larry with the help of my family.

He can't really move much, so I figured an ice cream tub would be large enough for him, but I've never taken care of a spider before, and I don't know what things he'll need.
I tried google, but everything that shows up is useless. It's either "how to get rid" or "spiders invading Irish homes".

That's why I joined this forum! I'm hoping that someone will have tips or know which websites are most informative.

I know giant house spider males only live for a year, but I'd like to try give Larry a good home until his time is up. ^^

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi, I'm NewSpiderMum, and as my username suggests, I'm a first-time caretaker for a spider. I hope it's ok that my intro post is a little long!

Legless Larry:
I was outside changing my goldfish's water, when I noticed a big, four-legged spider struggling to climb the wall. I felt sorry for it, knew it probably wouldn't survive alone after losing four legs, so I caught it and made a little home for it.

I believe it's a giant house spider, and I'm guessing it's male because I read that the males wander at this time of year in search for a mate, so I named him Legless Larry with the help of my family.

He can't really move much, so I figured an ice cream tub would be large enough for him, but I've never taken care of a spider before, and I don't know what things he'll need.
I tried google, but everything that shows up is useless. It's either "how to get rid" or "spiders invading Irish homes".

That's why I joined this forum! I'm hoping that someone will have tips or know which websites are most informative.

I know giant house spider males only live for a year, but I'd like to try give Larry a good home until his time is up. ^^
Welcome to the forum.

from reading your post, I would recommend releasing him. Even though he only has four legs, the only thing he is focused on is passing his genes on to another generation. His entire time will be spent trying to get out to look for a female.

however if you want to try looking after him, I’d recommend using the search function here or on AB (arachnoboards), as I have zero experience with house spiders. Good chance you’ll find the information you’re looking for in one of those two places.

NewSpiderMum

Welcome to the forum.

from reading your post, I would recommend releasing him. Even though he only has four legs, the only thing he is focused on is passing his genes on to another generation. His entire time will be spent trying to get out to look for a female.

however if you want to try looking after him, I’d recommend using the search function here or on AB (arachnoboards), as I have zero experience with house spiders. Good chance you’ll find the information you’re looking for in one of those two places.
Thanks for replying!

Maybe you're right, he might be better off continuing his quest for a mate. I think there are a few of his kind living in my garden shed, so I might release him there.

Maybe that way I'll become a Spider Granny. xD

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome. :)
If you do decide to look after him all he will need is a water bowl, a bottle or coffee jar lid will do fine.

Jeef

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome! I'm surprised no one has asked for pictures yet.

So... how about a picture? :D

Love the name too! Cheers!

NewSpiderMum

You're all so sweet ♥️

After much thought and consideration, I decided to set him free. I forgot to take a photo beforehand, but he's a fairly large guy, around an index finger in length.
I don't know anything about spider anatomy, so forgive this description, but he was missing the second and fourth legs on the left, and the first and third on the right. Cute in a way lol

After resting in the tub for a couple of hours, though, he was far more alert and active when I released him! He might have just been sleepy when I caught him.

I'm hoping Larry finds himself a wife to die with. Wouldn't we all be so lucky! Lol

Latest posts