• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help! sling is not eating

Amooba

So I have recently purchased two G. pulchra slings and they arrived one week ago. I have never owned tarantulas before so I am new to this. Anyways, one of them has already eaten two mealworms but one of my slings just won't eat. Does it still need time to adjust to the new environment. I really need help and hope that there is nothing wrong with my sling.

GarField000

3 Year Member
There could be several reasons why it's not eating.
Adjust to new enclosrue, of going into a molt, the food is alive (not sure how small they are?) ...
Just try and feed it once a week. You can pre-kill a cricket at leave at in so she kind eat while you are not watching :D

My B.boemei didn't eat live food until 2 molts further.

Amooba

There could be several reasons why it's not eating.
Adjust to new enclosrue, of going into a molt, the food is alive (not sure how small they are?) ...
Just try and feed it once a week. You can pre-kill a cricket at leave at in so she kind eat while you are not watching :D

My B.boemei didn't eat live food until 2 molts further.
Alright, Thanks for your help. My sling that is not eating is also a lot darker than my other sling that does eat. Might this be a sign that it is in premolt?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Personally I have no idea if some of my slings eat or not. Being small most could have a massive feed on a mealworm & I would never know. They get a beheaded mealworm every 3rd day. That is, I put a mealworm in, leave it 24 hours, remove it & the replace with a fresh mealworm 24 hours later.

The way I look at it, my slings cost me absolutely no more to feed this way, as by buying mealworms, I get more than I will use, so why not do it? Feeding the above way I also take the lid off each sling everyday, thus refreshing the air for them & I get to keep an eye on any that are not webbed up or burrowed. So not having 100's of T's, all this cost me is a few minutes each day.

GarField000

3 Year Member
New T's that do not eat I give dead food. If they don't eat the dead food 2 times I presume premolt.
With some it's easy to spot and it takes longer (my G.pulchripes are in pre-molt for 5/6/7 weeks. One is molting today ... With my gbb it didn't eat on sunday (I feed once a week on sunday) and tuesday it was molted. Every species, and even individuals are different.

Latest posts