• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help please!!!

Paige_heffernan

Hi everyone!!
I'm new to all of this!.
I inherited an antilles pink toe tarantula and I'm trying to keep him/her alive! It melted 10 days ago, has fresh water, misted tank, but wont eat! I found it starting to curl its legs in today ( has been very active)andnjm just not sure what to do! Any advice is welcome!!!

Paige_heffernan

I'd say maybe 3" or so and it's at about 70% humid. I just misted again this am. Pictures are of just before molt- cleaned tank- and this morning starting to curl legs but was moving a bit

Attachments

• 20181011_105426.jpg
    20181011_105426.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 20181101_144135.jpg
    20181101_144135.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17

Logan D

3 Year Member
weird so with avic you don't really want to have them in a very moist environment it doesn't look to be be moist in there so i would try picking her up and putting a couple of drops of water on her fangs in case she is dehydrated

Logan D

3 Year Member
and since she just molt she cant eat for atleast a week i would imagine at that size her fangs haven't harden yet

Paige_heffernan

So we molted 10 days ago today. Was going to try a small cricket or mealworm. I've had a tarantula before but not this type or have dealt bv with molting, So I'm just lost! Just checked and a few legs stretched out but very weak

Logan D

3 Year Member
So we molted 10 days ago today. Was going to try a small cricket or mealworm. I've had a tarantula before but not this type or have dealt bv with molting, So I'm just lost! Just checked and a few legs stretched out but very weak
yeah i would try gently picking her up and dripping water in her mouth and see if she starts to improve if so she's dehydrated

Logan D

3 Year Member
do you have a milk jug cap? or Gatorade cap has long as her abdomen is not in the water she will be okay like just put her on the lip of the dish

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Misting is not necessary, dry substrate with a water dish and a LOT of cross ventilation are key. Before I ever got in the hobby, it was assumed Avics/ybrapora/caribena (Avics only back then) needed a lot of moisture, which through trial and error, has been disproved.

I know it wasn't asked, but the setup looks like it's more suited to a terrestrial species judging by the first picture.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The thing with these is that they won't go to ground for water. You need to have an elevated water dish of some kind that won't fall down. I had the same issue with my C versicolor. Despite the fact that they come from regions that are humid at ground level, they can get hurt or killed by excess humidity.

It's really easy to see why. Humid air is denser then less humid air. That's why fog tends to hug the ground.

These guys live in trees, some of them close to 100 feet off of the ground, a few even higher. They are used to drinking water from nooks and crannies in trees. They also like lots of ventilation. Jamie's tarantulas makes a wonderful juvenile enclosure for smaller specimens. If you have a large juvenile or sub adult or bigger, consider using an ExoTerra nano tall enclosure or something similar to that. Jamie's also has a wonderful adult size enclosure for adults, but it costs more & its acrylic. The nano is glass.

My versicolor just loves his ExoTerra enclosure. In general, the enclosure should have a vertical orientation, by which I mean taller then it is wide.