• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help please. (small, not eating)

Zsazsalouise

Hi

Im new to this forum. I just want some help or opinions. I have a chilean rose. I have had it for about 3/4 years however it is still tiny. Could it be a drawf species? We dont know the sex but we havent seen any hooks on the front legs. Also it hasnt eaten for a good few months at least and no sign of molting.

Just a bit worried. As its first T.

P. S the T is only in that box to show size easier

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 23
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 17

Nunua

3 Year Member
Welcome to the family!

First of all, that's not tiny anymore but a beautiful juvenile.
G. rosea is no dwarf species, it's just sloooooooow growing and very well known for having long fasting periods - Why? Just because they can :D Especially, if by "3/4 years" you mean ~9 months, it's totally normal that it hasn't molted in your care and you feel like it's not growing at all.

Your T looks all fine and healthy, so no need to worry! Just have it in a dry enclosure, keep the water dish full of fresh water, and overflow the dish occasionally. That's all it needs :) It'll eat and/or molt when it feels like doing so.

Last edited:

Nunua

3 Year Member
Well, still. Like I said, G. rosea is a slow growing species. Being 3-4 years old yours is a well developed and grown juvenile, so I'm sure that everything is absolutely fine - It also looks perfectly healthy and so no need to worry :)
And no matter who you ask here from, they'll say that G. rosea have long fasting and/or premolt periods - Just keep the water dish full and it'll thrive.

If tarantulas can teach you something, it's patience :D
For example, I don't remember who it was, but his Brachypelma was buried and fasting something like over 140 days (>4.5 months) and was totally fine.

Last edited:

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just checked my records, some of my smallest slings have had their burrows blocked since April 30 or May 11. Looking at the ones I can see through the sides they still have plump butts that look like they would pop, I know they were hiding from winter but this is ridiculous! (I live in Australia)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi

Im new to this forum. I just want some help or opinions. I have a chilean rose. I have had it for about 3/4 years however it is still tiny. Could it be a drawf species? We dont know the sex but we havent seen any hooks on the front legs. Also it hasnt eaten for a good few months at least and no sign of molting.

Just a bit worried. As its first T.

P. S the T is only in that box to show size easier
as others have said, a healthy looking spider. It is ypical (if frustrating at times) behaviour for this species. Again, really good advice about freshwater and to keep dry etc.
I see nothing at all to worry about. Lovely looking spider.

RonC

3 Year Member
Slings eating more than once is a rumor :). At least that's how it seems to new keepers. I've been keeping a little over three months. Out of 5 slings two have eaten once in my care and burrowed. The largest one, a whopping 2 inch G.pulchripes, eats whenever it get the opportunity. Another sneaks out at night and drags its pre-killed into its burrow. It did take a pinhead lat last feeding so were advancing. The other is so little I don't know if its eaten or not but the last p-k lat did change position in the enclosure overnight. Frustrating when our cold blooded pets don't seem to eat. I'm getting better about not worrying.

InEx Situ

3 Year Member
Opisthosoma ratio to prosoma looks fine and rather plump. I have had an M. balfouri fast for 6-7 months. Perfectly capable and hardy taxon.