• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spider.Mommy

Hey guys im Spider.Mommy
im still new to owning a T and I feel very anxious about my lil spidy! She is a Grammastola Rosea and ive had her since she was a lil 1cm big baby. She used to feed very well and she grew quickly! The molts were fine and after I brought one to the petshop where I bought her they confirmed it was a female. Now she is about 6cm well I mean like her body without legs. But she wont eat anymore. Ive tried giving her different bugs, ive tried grasshoppers locusta migratoria, worms zophobas and crickets gryllus assimilis also acheta domesticus. She doesn't care what it is she doesn't want it.
I thought maybe she just isn't hungry at the moment. But now shes started acting strangely. Shes in a corner right now and shes curled up a bit. Shes doing something wit her thangs and her front foot as well as the pedipalp (not sure if that's the correct word srry).
Anyway could anyone help me?
Id love to learn more I love the animals and I really care about their wellbeing. Im a very concerned person so please could you help me what to do if theres anything I can do?

Thanks in advance
Spider.Mommy

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It could be that she in premoult or just on a G. rosea fast, they are known for it. As long as she has water available and her abdomen isn't shrinking she'll be fine, they can go very long periods without food.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
great advice above. sounds like the front pedipalps and fang movement you describe is just her having a wash.

If you are able to get a video or some pics for us that may also help.

Welcome to the forum too :)

Spider.Mommy

It could be that she in premoult or just on a G. rosea fast, they are known for it. As long as she has water available and her abdomen isn't shrinking she'll be fine, they can go very long periods without food.

Okay Thanks a lot!! I know that they can go for long periods of time without food its just different when your experiencing it I guess. Also because when she was younger she ate soooo much XD She was always very hungry... Like me my soulmate hahah
She has water and everything. How can I check that her abdomen isn't shrinking? Well yeah look at it but like are there any signs before it actually starts shrinking?

Thanks again!!!!
Spider.Mommy

Spider.Mommy

great advice above. sounds like the front pedipalps and fang movement you describe is just her having a wash.

If you are able to get a video or some pics for us that may also help.

Welcome to the forum too :)

Okay Thanks for the Information. Ive never seen her doing that. Im sorry for being so paranoid. Shes just so sweet and I want her to be okay! I will try and get some photos but shes a bit camera shy haha.

thanks for all the support and nice messages you guys are great! :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Okay Thanks a lot!! I know that they can go for long periods of time without food its just different when your experiencing it I guess. Also because when she was younger she ate soooo much XD She was always very hungry... Like me my soulmate hahah
She has water and everything. How can I check that her abdomen isn't shrinking? Well yeah look at it but like are there any signs before it actually starts shrinking?

Thanks again!!!!
Spider.Mommy

You'd soon notice any change to her abdomen. If she's in premoult her abdomen will probably look shiny, she may kick hair and develop a bald spot and if the bald spot darkens you know a moult is imminent.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Okay Thanks for the Information. Ive never seen her doing that. Im sorry for being so paranoid. Shes just so sweet and I want her to be okay! I will try and get some photos but shes a bit camera shy haha.

thanks for all the support and nice messages you guys are great! :)
We are always here to help so ask anything if you are unsure :)

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think it was @MassExodus that had a post about a year ago that noted that his healthy rosea hadn’t eaten for 6 months. As Ennie said, that species is known to do this. Not to worry.

Latest posts