• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help identify my new friend

Myhouseisazoo

I got it from a guy whos dident want it anymore, who got it from a guy who dident want it anymore. The guy he got it from did not know what it is, and the guy i got it froms best guess was a goliath birdeater, but thaught that might not be right because of the size and that it only molted twice in the year he had it. View attachment 32002

Myhouseisazoo

Here are more picks

Attachments

• 20180831_170030.jpg
    20180831_170030.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
  • 20180902_131231.jpg
    20180902_131231.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 49

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are excellent species, very popular and ready to care for. Once he or she settles in, you will find that it is a very pouncy spider with an excellent feeding response, great find!!

They do get extremely large. Exceeding 8 inches is not unheard of but they don't get quite as big as T stirmi or T blondi does.

The other nice thing about them is that basic care and husbandry is much easier then T stirmi or T blondi. In fact, in my opinion, any Lasiodora especially a large sling or small juvenile makes an ideal first time tarantula for the hobbyist just starting out.

Myhouseisazoo

Thank you for your insite. I have been reading that there diet is pretty basic, but i havent seen anything about larger prey, like frozen pinkies or fuzzies. (Let alone live mice) Should i offer her larger foodz, or just stick to crickets and superworms?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Vertebrates arent necessary for tarantulas, and the cleanup is messy. They can go their whole lives on crickets and worms. Looks like an Lp to me as well, I've had four of them. For some reason I keep thinking possible Ld though. I find it hard to tell them apart, but something about the pic on bottom says Ld to me..either way, care is the same. Ld is Lasiodora dificilis.

Myhouseisazoo

I wasent really thinking in terms of nutritional needs, but more in quantity. One fuzzy is like 4 or 5 crickets worth of food in one sitting. And it is a VORACIOUS eater... but i am pretty green at this

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wasent really thinking in terms of nutritional needs, but more in quantity. One fuzzy is like 4 or 5 crickets worth of food in one sitting. And it is a VORACIOUS eater... but i am pretty green at this
Oh you can feed it a fuzzy occasionaly, it shouldnt hurt. Its just messy, and stinky, because the tarantula will take quite awhile to suck out all the juices:) Some say too much vertebrate prey is bad for them. Don't know if thats true or not.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok. I probibly wont go that direction then. Mb i will try larger roaches or the annoying kid from down the street lol. Its just so damb big crickets seem like more of a snack
Adult dubia roaches are my favorite feeder for big spiders. Much more efficient, and easy to keep a colony. They will accept annoying kids, but you have to hold them down, they struggle and scream, its rather off-putting..

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you want to feed a tarantula something, look no further then hissing roaches or Earthworms. The cleanup from these 2, especially Earthworms is not bad at all.

Although it's far from settled, some people feel that the calcium in vertebrates might increase the risk of death during molts. Correlation doesn't equal causation of course. Pinkies as opposed to adult mice contain a much lower percentage of calcium because many of the bones have mostly cartilage instead of hard bone. They are also incapable of fighting back during feeding and perhaps killing the tarantula.

A fish flipping around on the ground of the enclosure will also stimulate the tarantula by being in motion in a disorganized way. A few tarantulas will even take fish from the water dish.

In my opinion, you don't want a "fair fight" between the tarantula and it's prey items. The tarantula should be able to wreck it's feeders like shooting a fish in a barrel with a machine gun.

Latest posts