• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help choosing a spider

anjulis

I have had a Chaco Golden Knees for 13 years. She has died recently and I want to get another tarantula. Trying to decide which one. I am not really a hobbyist but like to have it on my desk and look at it.
I would like something big and beautiful. I have considered Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula (Harpactira pulchripes) but read that it produces a lot of web so its dwelling doesn't look good. Then I looked at Gooty Sapphire Tarantula (Poecilotheria metallica) which looks gorgeous but, apparently spends most of the time in hiding. So I am asking professionals, what would you recomend.

For a setup I have a 10 gallon rectangular fish tank with coco substrate and a semicircular wooden "cave" and a mesh top. I can, of course, modify it it needed.

Seamus

3 Year Member
Hi sorry to hear about your loss. Your tank would not be suitable for a p Metallica as they need more height than width. If you want something that's always on show me personally would go with any brachypelma species or grammostola or A geniculata

ArachnoHorn

3 Year Member
Hi sorry to hear about your loss. Your tank would not be suitable for a p Metallica as they need more height than width. If you want something that's always on show me personally would go with any brachypelma species or grammostola or A geniculata
Yes I agree. And also, metallicas are very aggressive and not recommended if you just started collecting. brachypelmas grammostolas geniculatas are good :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Brachypelma smithi (ex. annitha). They are always sitting out and never hide.
20200408_172819.jpg

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Anjulis,
Sorry for your loss as well. Even if you are not a hobbyists, I believe taking care and allowing a tarantula to leave her whole life with you show that you are more than a beginner. Brachypelmas are always a safe bet, but keep in mind than each individual has variation in temperament and some (especially slings and juvenile) tend to borrow when other will remain out in display all the time. My best bet would be to look for a hamorii, bohemi or auratum, juvenile but sexed female already (that will be a little more expensive) from a respected breeder and you will be good to go for another 20 years ;)
Cheers.

Poppy2020

3 Year Member
Or a Grammastola rosea.... I’ve cared for three— two females and a male—- all three were very chill and always out in the open. My first female lived to be nearly twenty! My other is still with me.

Frogdaddy

3 Year Member
Yes I agree. And also, metallicas are very aggressive and not recommended if you just started collecting. brachypelmas grammostolas geniculatas are good :)
No spider is aggressive. If anything they are defensive. When we open their enclosure they react as if we are a giant predator. They are just trying to protect themselves.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry for you loss, amigo

I have several T vagans that will in time grow into your enclosure, slings now, but I will always recommend a GBB to an experienced or novice keeper