• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help! Bugs found in my GBB enclosure!

Jes

Hi Guys! I just got my very first tarantula last month which is a very very pretty GBB sling. Today, while I was looking at her enclosure, I found a bunch of small black/gray bugs(video attached) feasting on what appears to be the leftovers of the dubia roach I fed her yesterday. I don't think they are springtails because springtails are white, right? I am not sure if I need to change the substrate now or whether these bugs are beneficial or harmful to my T.. Any response would be much appreciated. TIA!

Jes

Looks like Fungus gnats/or some type of. Clean up all the dead and deteriorating items and let the enclosure dry out. Move the water dish to a different spot and don't over flow it for a while...long enough to where the gnats eggs die off.
Thanks for the response. Is there anything I can do to prevent them from coming back?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for the response. Is there anything I can do to prevent them from coming back?
Spot clean as soon as the spider finishes eating...drier surface substrate discourages egg laying. Move water dish to a different location helps that area dry out also. They won't harm your T but they can be a irritant for you.

Jes

Spot clean as soon as the spider finishes eating...drier surface substrate discourages egg laying. Move water dish to a different location helps that area dry out also. They won't harm your T but they can be a irritant for you.
Will keep that in mind. Thanks!
Good to know they are not harming my T. But yeah they are quite an eye sore lol