• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hello

DOS1392

Hello everyone.

My names dan, im juat about to start in the hobby and have just relocated from london to startford on avon. I have been doing a lot of research up until now and once we finally move into our new property im allowed the "hobby room". Im looking forward to starting in the hobby but am still doing more research to make sure im ready. So any pointers are more than welcome. Id rather be over prepared than not be prepared enough. Anyways i look forward to meeting and speaking with you all.

Dan

DOS1392

Well i was going to use shelves up higher as weve got a 1 year old baby at home. But other than that im waiting to move in to see how much room we will actually have :)

DOS1392

Just an update.I was looking at getting a mexican fire leg as a first sling. But have read alot and people say get 2 or 3 slings to start with. Does anyone have any pointers on what others to go with? Would love to hear some opinions and some advice on set ups. Ive been reading alot and watching alot of husbandry videos on all different species but cant pick.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just an update.I was looking at getting a mexican fire leg as a first sling. But have read alot and people say get 2 or 3 slings to start with. Does anyone have any pointers on what others to go with? Would love to hear some opinions and some advice on set ups. Ive been reading alot and watching alot of husbandry videos on all different species but cant pick.
Glad to hear you've been looking into getting some slings.. One thing is for sure you will certainly end up with more than one as we are all arachnoholics here :D
Personal preference as to weather to purchase 1 or more of the same sling at once personally if they are available I like to get at least 2 of a particular sling mainly in case we lose one(unfortunately some just don't survive despite the best care) but it will also increase your chance of getting a female too..
Any of the brachypelma genus is a great place to start with Ts... Only downside is the slow growth rate.. My personal recommendation for a first sling is a Grammostola pulchripes, easily available with a reasonable growth rate, very good feeders and a very nice sized attractive species to boot.. So for me they tick all the boxes :) whatever you decide good luck and enjoy your new additions

DOS1392

Thanks ive been reading through your topic about your slings if i remember correctly and ended up around page 4 or 5 before i realised how much i had read haha. Very informative:)

DOS1392

Glad to hear you've been looking into getting some slings.. One thing is for sure you will certainly end up with more than one as we are all arachnoholics here :D
Personal preference as to weather to purchase 1 or more of the same sling at once personally if they are available I like to get at least 2 of a particular sling mainly in case we lose one(unfortunately some just don't survive despite the best care) but it will also increase your chance of getting a female too..
Any of the brachypelma genus is a great place to start with Ts... Only downside is the slow growth rate.. My personal recommendation for a first sling is a Grammostola pulchripes, easily available with a reasonable growth rate, very good feeders and a very nice sized attractive species to boot.. So for me they tick all the boxes :) whatever you decide good luck and enjoy your new additions
I was also thinking of getting a Pumpkin patch (Hapalopus sp. Colombia) what would you advise with one of those as a sling also?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was also thinking of getting a Pumpkin patch (Hapalopus sp. Colombia) what would you advise with one of those as a sling also?
They are great little Ts.. Although as slings you probably won't see them much.. With our ones they seem to stay out and about more as they have grown.... They are pretty hardy and like the sub to be kept a bit moist than some other slings but maybe that's just how I've found them to prefer.. Also they come in 2 different sizes small and large :)

DOS1392

Hey everyone, quick couple of questions about irticating hairs ( not sure if ive spelt that correctly, if not please advise on correct spelling hhaaha)

I know new worlds kick them, but can they still irritate you if you handle a molt? If a T passes away and you handle it can they still be irritating?

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Potentially. Depends on the species (some have worse hairs than others) and your own sensitivity. Some people don't have problems handling moults, others do.
One thing to bear in mind that sensitivity to urticating hairs actually increases the more you get exposed to them. That's why you hear of long term keepers giving up keeping certain species of New Worlds, or New Worlds altogether, as their reactions to the hairs became intolerable.

As long as you're not rubbing off the hairs when you handle the moult, and are gentle and careful, you may not have a reaction. But the best way, is to use tongs not your fingers. Soaking the moult (in order to sex it) gets rid of loose hairs too.

Soulman

Hi Dan,I'm some what new to this as well.Every so often I'm called to babysit.some right legged crew.For me I'm going for Grammostolo Porteri.A Child Rose does not bite or flick. So I'm told.And babys climb shelfs.

DOS1392

Just to keep you all posted.

We signed our new tenency today. Move in on monday :) managed to get myself a spare bedroom for a tarantular room :)

Latest posts