• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello to all

Mr.T

Hello peeps I'm new here and I have had my first tarantula for a week now and I'm a proud owner I really think I'm hooked lol but because I'm new I have doubts at the same time so I have a few questions and after reading some of the posts mesa thinking this is the best place to ask them thank you very much my name is Tom and I'm a proud owner of a avicularia avicularia beautiful pink toe tarantula at least that's what it says on the tank

Mr.T

So first tarantula looks to be about 2 1/2 to 3 inches I have her him it in a tank which is 8 inches by 8 inches and is 12 inches tall have a guess what I'm trying to ask, is this tank too big she hasn't webbed yet but after reading some of the other threads it could take months so I'm not to worried about that and I did read that when they're young feed them twice a week and in the first week she has had 2 meals.
don't know if I'm doing things wrong or if I'm doing things right or I'm just being silly because I don't want any harm to come to her but I guess it's a learning curve, and thanks for taking the time to read this and a massive thank you for anyone who replies I can pop some photos of her him or it and the enclosure instead of negative comments like I said I'm new to this so positive feedback would help more thank you very much

Last edited:

Mr.T

15615756698706396438540233363255.jpg
1561575709832476574130930811180.jpg

Tnoob

I'm a bit of a beginner myself, but honestly I don't think the actual size of your enclosure will be much of a problem as long as there aren't any holes large enough for them to escape. Tarantula can be a bit forgiving as far as husbandry is concerned. So you may not need the thermostat.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to this great place :)

You can feed your spider more than all 2 weeks. As long as he catches his food he is good to go. When you notice the crickets are still in there the next morning, take them out and wait a week or so before you try to feed again. Even 2 weeks don’t hurt.

Your setup looks good! Congratulations! :D

nedaK

Set up looks great! My only worry is that the thermostat may heat the glass and potentially harms the spider. My room is 68-70 degrees F and my pink toe is just fine without a thermostat despite them living in 80 degrees in huge rainforests in the wild.

Mr.T

Hi Kaden Alexander
Thanks for your reply not quite sure what you mean what you see in the picture is a thermometer all it's doing is taking a reading of the temperature in the tank it doesn't submit any heat or let off any heat at all.... :)
Thank you Tom

MissKitty

Hello peeps I'm new here and I have had my first tarantula for a week now and I'm a proud owner I really think I'm hooked lol but because I'm new I have doubts at the same time so I have a few questions and after reading some of the posts mesa thinking this is the best place to ask them thank you very much my name is Tom and I'm a proud owner of a avicularia avicularia beautiful pink toe tarantula at least that's what it says on the tank[/QUOT

MissKitty

HI Mr. T
I'm new to this group too. Good choice. I have a C. Versicolor. A slinging have had it about 3 weeks. I got that same tank but she is too small for it right now, so, it will be at least a year.
When your T is comfy with its surroundings, it will web. Just make sure you have some plants, cork, etc
Whatever. It will web up high.
My girl? Is eating like 3 pinheads a week.
She is growing already!
Good luck. Does your new family member have a name?
Mine is Miss Tilly.

Attachments

• 0611191014.jpg
    0611191014.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 3

MissKitty

Set up looks great! My only worry is that the thermostat may heat the glass and potentially harms the spider. My room is 68-70 degrees F and my pink toe is just fine without a thermostat despite them living in 80 degrees in huge rainforests in the wild.

Yes, I agree ,really no need for the thermostat.,I would removed it.,unless you have a chilly room,they don't need extra heat. 70-80 degrees is fine. Also,,another big thing is humidity,don't go overboard, you look like you have a good set up..,just make sure it ius escape proof!

Mr.T

Hello misskitty

And plz say hi to misstilly ;) sadly my t has no name yet due to the fact I'm unsure of the sex I don't want to give my male t a female name and vice a versa I have been trying to think of a neutral name but unable to come up with one so my ears are open if you have any suggestions.

Mr.T

Yes, I agree ,really no need for the thermostat.,I would removed it.,unless you have a chilly room,they don't need extra heat. 70-80 degrees is fine. Also,,another big thing is humidity,don't go overboard, you look like you have a good set up..,just make sure it ius escape proof!
Hi I'm thanks for the input someone has mentioned thermostat but it's just a thermometer it's just reading the temperature in the tank it's not heating the tank or it's not a source of heat at all my house is warm enough I doesn't need no heat mat but thanks for your concern and I understand about humidity substrate is damp / dry as you can see she has a water dish halfway up a tank so the humidity is just little thanks for replying and thanks for your input all the best Tom