• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello! New tarantula (Pink Toe) owner here

jordanily

3 Year Member
Hi everybody! I got my first baby last night and I'm so happy. I think he is too. I haven't chosen a name for him just yet but here he is, my first time holding him. He's very friendly, not at all aggressive. I put him in his new cage last night and he went without hesitation. He was quiet and not moving for the first few hours but he had his first meal and he webbed*. I'm guessing he's feeling comfortable :)

*I read up on tarantula webbing since I know they do not like other spiders. My question though; Is this a sign of comfort?

Also, my name is Jordan and I'm looking forward to being apart of this forum and learning/connecting with other tarantula owners. I've wanted a tarantula for so many years. Not sure why it took so long to finally adopt one. I wouldn't change him for the world ️❤️

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20210109_203317_431.jpg
    IMG_20210109_203317_431.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 22

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome Jordan!

Be careful handling or letting avicularia walk on you. While most avics don't kick ultriculating hairs like many NW terrestrials, they do have them. Avics transfer hairs by rubbing their abdomen against things; like your hands and arms.

Enjoy your new T and please start a thread with pics!

jordanily

3 Year Member
Welcome Jordan!

Be careful handling or letting avicularia walk on you. While most avics don't kick ultriculating hairs like many NW terrestrials, they do have them. Avics transfer hairs by rubbing their abdomen against things; like your hands and arms.

Thank you! I'll definitely start a thread tonight with some photos. Here's one!

Attachments

• PXL_20210110_091319496.jpg
    PXL_20210110_091319496.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 9

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello Jordan and welcome to this great forum/family.
I have a feeling he is the first one of many more to come :)
Cheers.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi everybody! I got my first baby last night and I'm so happy. I think he is too. I haven't chosen a name for him just yet but here he is, my first time holding him. He's very friendly, not at all aggressive. I put him in his new cage last night and he went without hesitation. He was quiet and not moving for the first few hours but he had his first meal and he webbed*. I'm guessing he's feeling comfortable :)

*I read up on tarantula webbing since I know they do not like other spiders. My question though; Is this a sign of comfort?

Also, my name is Jordan and I'm looking forward to being apart of this forum and learning/connecting with other tarantula owners. I've wanted a tarantula for so many years. Not sure why it took so long to finally adopt one. I wouldn't change him for the world ️❤️

Cheers!
Welcome to the forum and this wonderful hobby.
You have beautiful tarantula there.
Avicularia sp have a little more specific housing needs and will be good to post some pics of your enclosure in order to get options if it is housed correctly.Also handling of tarantulas while is a keepers choice is in general frowned upon by serious tarantula keepers because of risks of injury or even death of the spider if it goes wrong.
Having said the latest tarantulas are wild animals and should be respected as such.Their temperament varies between individual spiders but also between moults of the same specimen.
Its common for tarantulas to change their behaviour so I will advise you to keep your hands at safe distance at all times and have a long set of tweezers for maintenance

Regards Konstantin

ArachnoHorn

3 Year Member
Welcome Jordan!

Yes and i hope you have a great time here!

jordanily

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum and this wonderful hobby.
You have beautiful tarantula there.
Avicularia sp have a little more specific housing needs and will be good to post some pics of your enclosure in order to get options if it is housed correctly.Also handling of tarantulas while is a keepers choice is in general frowned upon by serious tarantula keepers because of risks of injury or even death of the spider if it goes wrong.
Having said the latest tarantulas are wild animals and should be respected as such.Their temperament varies between individual spiders but also between moults of the same specimen.
Its common for tarantulas to change their behaviour so I will advise you to keep your hands at safe distance at all times and have a long set of tweezers for maintenance

Regards Konstantin
Thank you so much for your comment! Funny enough, I just posted about handling him. The last thing I would like to do is cause injury. I like him very much. I'll make sure I get a pair of long tweezers. I was advised this type of housing was fine by the pet shop but in my opinion, I think it's too small and should be more...decorated. He does NOT use his den at all. Maybe he isn't happy. Please see the attached photo for what I currently house him in :) substrate is eco earth, water dish is a cat food re-useable cover I never used, a log den, and the tank is probably 12"L x 6"W x 6"H (approximating)

Attachments

• PXL_20210114_034819233.jpg
    PXL_20210114_034819233.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20210114_034812458.jpg
    PXL_20210114_034812458.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you so much for your comment! Funny enough, I just posted about handling him. The last thing I would like to do is cause injury. I like him very much. I'll make sure I get a pair of long tweezers. I was advised this type of housing was fine by the pet shop but in my opinion, I think it's too small and should be more...decorated. He does NOT use his den at all. Maybe he isn't happy. Please see the attached photo for what I currently house him in :) substrate is eco earth, water dish is a cat food re-useable cover I never used, a log den, and the tank is probably 12"L x 6"W x 6"H (approximating)
That enclosure is oriented to a terrestrial T. Take a look at the avicularia, arboreal-specific enclosures we use for our avics.

Typically foliage rich with diagonal cork bark and space at the top where the T will web. Optimally, front or bottom opening, as avics usually web the very top of their enclosures.
Like this:
16105973556668770913753361875834.jpg

jordanily

3 Year Member
That enclosure is oriented to a terrestrial T. Take a look at the avicularia, arboreal-specific enclosures we use for our avics.

Typically foliage rich with diagonal cork bark and space at the top where the T will web. Optimally, front or bottom opening, as avics usually web the very top of their enclosures.
Like this:View attachment 52895
Thank you!!!!! I will adjust this weekend and post updated photos

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
The critter keeper stile enclosures are not the best choice for arboreal tarantulas as they offer larger footprint rather than height that arboreals need.
You can make it work for the time beeing but ideally you will need something with a little more height and less floor space. Some keepers will use those by putting them on the side and creating a barrier for the substrate so it doesn't spill though the vent holes.
Ideally the Avicularia setup is one with very good cross ventilation. This mean to have holes on the sides and the top of the enclosures. Also they don't use the substrate so don't go over board with it.An inch of DRY substrate will do it with a good size waterdish provided.
You don't want moist substrate in as this could create a stuffy enclosure if your ventilation is not good and thats a known avic killer. You need to have a vertical orientated bark or thick branch for them to hunt and chill on and leaf cover high near the top of the bark to provide anchor points for webbing and cover to make them feel safe.
Avicularia sp always go right to the top of the enclosure .
Examples of what it should look like.
images (2).jpeg

20200903_181057.jpg

20200422_181902.jpg

Most adult Avics will be goid in enclosure with dimensions 20x20x30H in cm.
Regards Konstantin

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Latest posts