• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hail!

NorseDad

Hello folks,

Just introducing myself. My name is Randy, and I am new to tarantula keeping. I got into the hobby for a few reasons. First, I was/am afraid of spiders. I'm not fond of being afraid of things and I decided that I wanted to learn more about spiders in general. I started watching documentaries and YouTube videos. I eventually found myself watching videos from Exotics Lair, Dark Den, The Tarantula Collective, Tarantula Haven, and Tarantula Kate. I came to find the tarantulas more interesting, beautiful, and...dare I say...cute?...the more I learned and watched. I decided to learn more about how difficult they were to keep as pets.

I then started reading a lot of Tom Moran's articles and watching his species husbandry guides. Pretty soon, I had decided to make my first purchase. I ended up going for a B. boehmei sling. I just loved the contrasting black and red. I chose, a sling because I figured it would be easier on me to have the thing small and get used to it as it grew. That was two months ago.

Now, I have four Ts: a B. boehmei, B. albiceps, A. chalcodes, and a N. incei gold. I'm really enjoying taking care of them. I like keeping detailed notes, seeing them grow (slow for some of them). I've also been getting into some DIY stuff for their housing, but they still have some time before they are big enough for something more extravagant. I'm sure I'll end up getting more as time goes on.

Glad to be here and looking forward to picking the brains of more experienced people.

--Randy

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
Welcome Randy! When I got into the hobby 11 years ago it started the same way. A fear turned into curiosity and then developed into a complete fascination.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello & welcome to the forum..
ima99.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Randy, welcome to the hobby. :)
Many of us are recovering arachnophobes.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Hi Randy. Glad to have you on the forum. I related to how you described getting into the hobby. Same here!

mrsoul1974

3 Year Member
Hello folks,

Just introducing myself. My name is Randy, and I am new to tarantula keeping. I got into the hobby for a few reasons. First, I was/am afraid of spiders. I'm not fond of being afraid of things and I decided that I wanted to learn more about spiders in general. I started watching documentaries and YouTube videos. I eventually found myself watching videos from Exotics Lair, Dark Den, The Tarantula Collective, Tarantula Haven, and Tarantula Kate. I came to find the tarantulas more interesting, beautiful, and...dare I say...cute?...the more I learned and watched. I decided to learn more about how difficult they were to keep as pets.

I then started reading a lot of Tom Moran's articles and watching his species husbandry guides. Pretty soon, I had decided to make my first purchase. I ended up going for a B. boehmei sling. I just loved the contrasting black and red. I chose, a sling because I figured it would be easier on me to have the thing small and get used to it as it grew. That was two months ago.

Now, I have four Ts: a B. boehmei, B. albiceps, A. chalcodes, and a N. incei gold. I'm really enjoying taking care of them. I like keeping detailed notes, seeing them grow (slow for some of them). I've also been getting into some DIY stuff for their housing, but they still have some time before they are big enough for something more extravagant. I'm sure I'll end up getting more as time goes on.

Glad to be here and looking forward to picking the brains of more experienced people.

--Randy
Welcome, Randy. Glad to have you here!

Latest posts