• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Grouping pink toes

spider4747

3 Year Member
I've got intel on a surplus of 3 month old pink toe tarantulas. I found that they can be housed together. What are their environmental needs? Are they about the same is roseys?

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
They cannot be housed together for long. They will eventually cannibalize each other. They are not the same as G.Rosea. Avics need plenty of cross ventilation in an arboreal set up with a water dish, substrate should be dry.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've got intel on a surplus of 3 month old pink toe tarantulas. I found that they can be housed together. What are their environmental needs? Are they about the same is roseys?
Avicularia are arboreal for one, G.rosea are terrestrial. Not even close. Also Avicularia are not communal they will eventually eat each other. No tarantula is communal, a few species are just more tolerant of one another. I mean this in the most inoffensive way possible dude, but the very fact that you even had to ask if care between an arboreal species and a terrestrial species, gives me the impression that you haven't done much research, and being a beginner, you're probably still grasping the basics of tarantula care in general. So I feel that a communal would not be a good idea, even with more tolerant species. I've been keeping tarantulas about 12 years now including arboreals, terrestrials, new worlds, and old worlds, and even I will admit that I am not ready to attempt a communal set-up. There are probably keepers with years more experience than me that feel the same.

spider4747

3 Year Member
Do these longer enclosures come in small sizes around the price (probably a little more than) 5.5 gallons-10 gallons? Since these are climbers can they withstand a fall on their own error?

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
Do these longer enclosures come in small sizes around the price (probably a little more than) 5.5 gallons-10 gallons? Since these are climbers can they withstand a fall on their own error?

Yes they can withstand falls better then G.Rosea. jamiestarantulas.com sells enclosures that are smaller for avics that are nice or you can just find a nice sized plastic container and modify it, which is what I do.

swimbait

3 Year Member
Lol you have found they can live together huh? What is this conclusion based off of a couple slings that haven't decided to eat each other yet. They are not communal by any means. Chubbs has a valid point too, if you have to ask to difference between arboreal and terrestrial species you are no where near ready to attempt a communal. Avics don't get very big and will really never require 10 gallons in the first place. They can be raised up in deli cups, or you can purchase cages online or at the container store. Cross ventilation, which means holes around the perimeter of the container not just on top, is necessary as is a water source. As slings moist substrate works, but moist not wet. As adults dry or moist sub, as long as there is a lot of ventilation. Please don't try to house these together they WILL eat each other as they grow

spider4747

3 Year Member
The difference between Arboreal and Terrestrial Ts is presumably Trees vs Ground. I don't read the forum long enough to understand all the fundamental differences between different geni of Ts and most of it comes off as confusing terminology and I've found youtube videos to be better at explaining a lot of things. The only difference between a terrestrial and arboreal I can intuitively infer is one likes to climb on branches.

I want to become an expert at this at some point, its not like I own 2 roseys (or 1 misnamed rosey lookalike?), a forest scorpion and a ball python all because I'm 'just dabbling'.

swimbait

3 Year Member
Lol I know people with 15 tarantulas who consider themselves to still be "dabbling" but that's besides the point. Yes in general the main difference between arboreal and terrestrial is trees vs ground. However, you also need to keep in mind what part of the world that species comes from. There are old world and new world tarantulas, Old world referring to tarantulas from Africa, Europe, Asia, etc. New world refers to tarantulas from North and south America. Overall old world tarantulas are more aggressive/defensive and have more potent venom. Rose hairs are considered new world terrestrial. Not all new world terrestrials would be kept the same though as a tarantula living in brazil is going to have different requirements than a tarantula from say Colorado. Although you can get away with keeping most species generally the same once you have a basic understanding of all their needs. For your avics small deli cups with moist sub and lots of ventilation as slings, as they grow you can keep them on dry sub as long as you have a water source. Peoples biggest mistake with avics often is keeping them too moist with too little ventilation. The tarantula world is definitely confusing at first but you'll quickly get the hang of it. If you have any specific questions feel free to private message me whenever, or you could post them here for others to also respond to.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have to ask, the fact that you're on this forum implies that you have access to the internet correct? This means you have the ability to go on Google and do a search on tarantula care, correct? Please feel free to stop me at any point if I'm wrong. There are quite a few up to date books written by experienced tarantula hobbyists that have been published in recent years. Given that you have internet access I would assume that you can either go on Amazon and/or eBay and search for one of these books, or perhaps see if you have a local library that may possibly have it, or see if you can request it from another library. Again feel free to stop me if I'm wrong. Or you could just do some research via Google or another search engine.

spider4747

3 Year Member
But google gave me the wrong info by telling me they live communal so I guess **** off. This is a forum to ask questions.

swimbait

3 Year Member
But google gave me the wrong info by telling me they live communal so I guess **** off. This is a forum to ask questions.

You're not gonna get far with that attitude. Google didn't give you any wrong info, you likely read one thing and took it as fact. Not every website google suggests is credible, that is common sense. Yes it's a forum for questions but people frequently get asked the same questions here over and over by people that clearly didn't do much research for themselves before coming to get answers spoon fed to them. If you did even a minimal amount of research on the two species you would have been able to determine they are nothing alike. Go do some research and come back with questions that you couldn't already answer with a little research. Also, grow up.

eminart

3 Year Member
I think you guys might ease up on him a little. He got some bad info from google (god knows there's plenty of that out there). Then came here and asked questions. There's a tendency in every hobby and on every forum to jump on the ill informed. I like this forum because I've seen less of it here. Let's try to keep it civil, on both sides. And maybe this CAN be a place for people to learn.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The difference between Arboreal and Terrestrial Ts is presumably Trees vs Ground. I don't read the forum long enough to understand all the fundamental differences between different geni of Ts and most of it comes off as confusing terminology and I've found youtube videos to be better at explaining a lot of things. The only difference between a terrestrial and arboreal I can intuitively infer is one likes to climb on branches.

I want to become an expert at this at some point, its not like I own 2 roseys (or 1 misnamed rosey lookalike?), a forest scorpion and a ball python all because I'm 'just dabbling'.
If you check any tarantula forums for stickied posts on tarantula care you will learn a lot, and there's at least three forums I know of that are specific to tarantulas. Youtube is also a fine learning tool, if you can get past the sillyness in the comments. Although I have to say, I watch many of the popular keepers and don't see much foolishness like that on spider channels. You have to expect though, even on a mostly friendly forum like this one, if you make a rash, uninformed statement like you did, someone will call you on it.. Research is pretty much required in this hobby, and yes, this forum is for asking questions, you're 100% right about that.

swimbait

3 Year Member
I think you guys might ease up on him a little. He got some bad info from google, god knows there's plenty of that out there, then came here and asked questions. There's a tendency in every hobby and on every forum to jump on the ill informed. I like this forum because I've seen less of it here. Let's try to keep it civil, on both sides. And maybe this CAN be a place for people to learn.

Nobody ever jumped on him, just told him not to house them together. Sure a couple responses may have been about doing proper research, but that's what needs to be done to truly learn in this hobby. You can't ask direct questions and get direct answers all the time. Being a member of several forums of different hobbies I have noticed a pattern: the people who come on posting basic questions they could have found on their own get a bunch of sarcastic comments, they either then choose to stick through it and eventually become an contributing member to the forum OR they react like the op above and get defensive immediately. Those type don't usually last long on the forums

Last edited:

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree that no one actually jumped on him, but the posts were a bit snarky. o_O
I feel like if you have an issue with them asking whats perceived as a foolish questions, simply don't post a reply.
Let others who aren't offended by it answer.
HOWEVER, coming back so defensively that you curse someone...uhuh, :cool:
There's plenty of ways of getting your point across without that.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
I know a few people who keep M. balfouri together however these are keepers that have decades in the hobby I am talking over 20 years and both of these keepers have over 300+ T's a piece it's not so much a hobby anymore and more of a business. The thing about the internet is that just like an email it's void of emotion so the reader takes away what they want from it. If the reader is already a defensive, insecure person they tend to jump all over the forum members offering help. Frankly it always bothers me when someone who knows nothing about T's, snakes, etc decides they are going to jump into the hobby and goes balls to the wall and gets several of them with no knowledge, personally there is nothing more stressful than trying to figure out if you've set it all up correctly. I have seen Avic communals go cannibalistic every single time- it happens on about the 4th instar. This subject has come up many times so I felt I should add the link to the video

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Okay there bud, just trying to help. The comment I made regarding google had to do with the fact of not knowing which was arboreal and which was terrestrial in relation to the two species you mentioned. Google didn't give you the info that said they live communal, Google is just a search engine, the web sites that the results came from gave you that info, it's just a matter of being able to differentiate between the reliable sources and the unreliable sources. You made a good choice by coming to this forum to ask such questions, but you have to understand that not everyone will agree with what you say/do and that just kind of comes with the territory. One thing about hobbies like this is that you have to be able to take criticism without getting overly defensive about it. That's no reason to tell someone who's trying to help you to "**** off". I'm assuming you have a job/occupation or go to school or have applied for jobs/schools before? When a manager or co-worker/teacher or fellow student criticizes you or an idea you have, and tries to give you advice on something (regardless of if it's delivered exactly like you'd like to hear it), do you give them this same response? I mean, I totally understand where you're coming from, as I've only recently started paying a lot more attention to this myself and on trying to work on it, but on the other hand, it still does not justify that kind of behavior. The reason I made that remark to you was because it almost seemed like you were wanting us to explain how to do extremely basic things for you, that in all fairness, you should know how to do yourself. I can recommend a few great books to you, but you have to be willing to find out where to acquire them and then figure out how to go about getting them yourself, we can't do that part for you. Honestly though, I've noticed a few hostile posts in some of your other threads as well, and I'm not sure what the reasoning for that is, but I can tell you that it's not going to make people on this forum (or any) want to help you out.

Latest posts