• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Greetings!!

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Hi everyone

Long time lurker here!! I'm what I like to fondly think of as a T fan, rather than a T owner.

I used to be a terrible kill it with fire arachnophobe, but since having my daughter nearly 10 years ago, I knew running out of rooms and sealing them off with cellotape for days if a spider was spotted was no longer an option. So I had to deal with it.

Slowly, I dealt with the phobia but T's are what I really fell in love with, and over the last 18 months I've been constantly reading, researching and watching 100's of hours of YouTube vids. It's my way of relaxation and enjoyment, a hobby unto itself! I'm sure it's all going to lead up to me getting my 1st (and my 2nd, 3rd etc etc lol) and if and when I do, I'll be sure to let you guys know!

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi @Jess S welcome to the forum:)
I'm pleased to hear you are a one time arachnophobe-but now dealing with your fear!
its a great hobby to be interested in an we only have thanks for youtube as it seems to be a reason a lot of people take an interest in the hobby itself in the first place:D
I'm sure it will lead you to getting the first of many Ts-so welcome to the addiction!:T:

T-Baby

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum and hobby @Jess S you’ve come to the right place for friendly advice! Everyone here is super helpful, no matter what the question!

What Tarantulas in particular do you like? There are some fantastically beautiful T’s out there.

mrsoul1974

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome t
Hi everyone

Long time lurker here!! I'm what I like to fondly think of as a T fan, rather than a T owner.

I used to be a terrible kill it with fire arachnophobe, but since having my daughter nearly 10 years ago, I knew running out of rooms and sealing them off with cellotape for days if a spider was spotted was no longer an option. So I had to deal with it.

Slowly, I dealt with the phobia but T's are what I really fell in love with, and over the last 18 months I've been constantly reading, researching and watching 100's of hours of YouTube vids. It's my way of relaxation and enjoyment, a hobby unto itself! I'm sure it's all going to lead up to me getting my 1st (and my 2nd, 3rd etc etc lol) and if and when I do, I'll be sure to let you guys know!
Hello and welcome!!

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum and hobby @Jess S you’ve come to the right place for friendly advice! Everyone here is super helpful, no matter what the question!

What Tarantulas in particular do you like? There are some fantastically beautiful T’s out there.

There are indeed.

Favourites for me are anything from the Brachypelma, Grammostolla genus.

Appearance wise I like:
GBB
Theraphosinae sp. Panama
T. Seladonia ( their appearance and the fact that they are arboreal/trapdoor, super interesting)

I guess I'm particularly fond of terrestrials, although I can definitely see the appeal of arboreals. I am very fond of Avics too.

There's loads more too that I can't think of right now!

T-Baby

3 Year Member
There are indeed.

Favourites for me are anything from the Brachypelma, Grammostolla genus.

Appearance wise I like:
GBB
Theraphosinae sp. Panama
T. Seladonia ( their appearance and the fact that they are arboreal/trapdoor, super interesting)

I guess I'm particularly fond of terrestrials, although I can definitely see the appeal of arboreals. I am very fond of Avics too.

There's loads more too that I can't think of right now!

Anything from the Brachypelma or Grammostola genus make for great first time pets. Particularly the Brachypelma Albopilosum!

Terrestrials are certainly the best way to go to start you off as Avics can be a little harder to keep. If you need any help please feel free to PM me, I’d be happy to help with setting up, the species, questions. Absolutely anything :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi everyone

Hi Jess, welcome to the family. This is a fantastic forum with wonderful and really helpful members. I would recommend browsing through the gallery section so you can see all the wonderful spiders we all have. And if you are looking for a specific genus, there are a few of the most readily available genus listed on the home page.

Many people on here have kept spiders for years (me 30+) and so our experience and knowledge is something we would love to share .....and better than any so called care sheets out there!

And finally a big warm welcome to a fellow UK member :)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Anything from the Brachypelma or Grammostola genus make for great first time pets. Particularly the Brachypelma Albopilosum!

Terrestrials are certainly the best way to go to start you off as Avics can be a little harder to keep. If you need any help please feel free to PM me, I’d be happy to help with setting up, the species, questions. Absolutely anything :)

That's great and I agree that Avics are harder to keep for a beginner. From what I've heard they die in humid conditions with poor cross ventilation, and often forget to go down to their water dish! So as much as I love them, I'd like to get into T keeping first before I consider getting one.

I've already got my eye on a G. pulchra and pulchripes! Lol

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's great and I agree that Avics are harder to keep for a beginner. From what I've heard they die in humid conditions with poor cross ventilation, and often forget to go down to their water dish! So as much as I love them, I'd like to get into T keeping first before I consider getting one.

I have a nice sized sling G pulchra (I say sling but it's about 3 ton4 cam and feeding on small crickets). Just sold a G pulchripes juvie recently and that was my last one.

I have a for sale list on her called 'The spider house" so feel free to browse through that and drop me any messages you like for help and advice.
@T-Baby usually has something nice available as well but not sure what she has atm.
a couple of pics from the G pulchra for tou.
1. the sling that is available and has just moulted
2. My adult female
20190629_133134.jpg
20180905_204813.jpg

T-Baby

3 Year Member

Haha it seems as though you’ve done your research!
The Pulchra is a true stunner, a particular favourite for a beginner Tarantula however if you wanted one of decent size you’re looking to spend a little money as they can be quite expensive.
Pulchripes are nice but can be a little defensive.

I currently only have a 2.5inch Psalmopoeus Irminia and a 3inch female Thrixopelma Pruriens but I can get you a Pulchra and/or a Pulchripes :)

I do highly recommend @Phil if you want to purchase the Pulchra off of him, see vendor reviews for his praises!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Haha it seems as though you’ve done your research!
The Pulchra is a true stunner, a particular favourite for a beginner Tarantula however if you wanted one of decent size you’re looking to spend a little money as they can be quite expensive.
Pulchripes are nice but can be a little defensive.

I currently only have a 2.5inch Psalmopoeus Irminia and a 3inch female Thrixopelma Pruriens but I can get you a Pulchra and/or a Pulchripes :)

I do highly recommend @Phil if you want to purchase the Pulchra off of him, see vendor reviews for his praises!
get me some decent size pulchra too? LOL

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I have a nice sized sling G pulchra (I say sling but it's about 3 ton4 cam and feeding on small crickets). Just sold a G pulchripes juvie recently and that was my last one.

I have a for sale list on her called 'The spider house" so feel free to browse through that and drop me any messages you like for help and advice.
@T-Baby usually has something nice available as well but not sure what she has atm.
a couple of pics from the G pulchra for tou.
1. the sling that is available and has just moulted
2. My adult female
View attachment 38854 View attachment 38855

Thanks Phil. I'll definitely have a look

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi everyone

:) Welcome! You are right, the more information you get the more you are interested. And when you are interested you are losing your fear! :D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to TF. It sounds like you beat your phobia already, good on you. Soon you'll be astonishing guests by picking up scary house spiders and putting them outside by hand. Or you could end up like me, I have a shower spider, a closet spider, and a kitchen window spider that live with me. If they seem skinny, I feed them astonished guests. Lol