• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Grammostola Pulchra, is this normal?

benihime

3 Year Member
Hello everyone. This g. pulchra girl right here is my first tarantula and since I'm new in the hobby I don't know that well about them. She's very calm and never kicked hair before. But I see some changes on her abdomen. It's like she lost her long black hairs and she has lightly colored short hairs left there. Is this normal? Or is there an issue? I'm gonna add new photos of her and an old one so you can see the issue better. Thank you
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-03 at 16.50.04.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-03 at 16.50.05.jpeg
Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 16.53.18.png

LGTARANTULAS

3 Year Member
What is the urt patch? Also the substrate I use is coconut husk chips. Not regular woodchips.
Just don't worry about it. As Enn49 said, she's approaching premolt which is why she is losing her jet black colouration. Happens with all tarantulas. The patch is due to balding which can be a caused as I've heard due to power feeding or maybe stress. I'm not too sure, either way. Don't worry :D

Oh and yeah, change that substrate. It's hideous and possibly dangerous. As you know, the tarantulas abdomen is fragile. If it drops down on one of those sharp ends of the chips while climbing then R.I.P. Plus it can't borrow and change her home around the way she likes it. Good luck friend.

benihime

3 Year Member
Just don't worry about it. As Enn49 said, she's approaching premolt which is why she is losing her jet black colouration. Happens with all tarantulas. The patch is due to balding which can be a caused as I've heard due to power feeding or maybe stress. I'm not too sure, either way. Don't worry :D

Oh and yeah, change that substrate. It's hideous and possibly dangerous. As you know, the tarantulas abdomen is fragile. If it drops down on one of those sharp ends of the chips while climbing then R.I.P. Plus it can't borrow and change her home around the way she likes it. Good luck friend.

Thank you everyone for helping me out with my first tarantula. I'm being a little too anxious I guess. What would you recommend for substrate?

benihime

3 Year Member
You can use a wide variety of substrate that are all arguably better the the suggested but I’d just get normal coco fibre... I’m a fan of adding vermiculite maybe 30 -70 and soaking one end where the water dish is and you can’t go wrong...
Thank you! I will do as you recommend. I'll order today and change the substrate as soon as my order arrives. I don't want anything to happen to her because of this issue.

LGTARANTULAS

3 Year Member
I'd also like to hear your recommendations on substrate. Also thank you for warning I didn't know what was a better option while picking.
Personally I like to mix 50/50 coco fibre and potting soil as it makes it easier for my Ts to move the substrate. The potting soil mixed in helps keep up humidity because of how damp it is naturally. That's basically what I like to do. You can slightly see from my profile picture of what my substrate looks like.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm a coco fiber- vermiculite guy....60/40 mix. That's what I've used for about the last 25 years. There's lots of options out there though...do whatever you like. I used sand and fish gravel in the 80s.:p The coco husk you have there might be good around the water dish...maybe put topsoil or coco fiber everywhere else, especially where it burrows.

Latest posts