• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Good beginners snake

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
My daughter is quite interested in getting a pet snake, I've kinda always wanted one too. So what would be a good beginner species to start researching. Ease of care is a factor. As well as size, are there any species who could comfortably live in a 10 gallon tank for their whole life? All recommendations will be researched thoroughly

Jeef

3 Year Member
Not that I can think of. Everything I can think of will outgrow a 10 gallon tank.

Corn snakes are awesome starters, but mine outgrew a 40 gallon tank. The growth rates of these guys are amazing! Especially in the first year.

Mexican Milk Snakes are smaller, basically the same care as a corn snake, but will still outgrow a 10.

There isn't a whole lot in the way of reptiles in general that you can permanently keep in a 10 gallon tank.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The only snake I can think of that would live in that size would be a Western Hognose (Heterodon nasicus). They are full of character and have the advantage of being diurnal, meaning you get to see them during the day.
The down side is that they are rear fanged and are therefore slightly venomous but most bites are feeding responses gone wrong so feeding is best done using tongs. In the many years I've kept and bred Hoggies and been bitten many times, only once did I get a wet bite which caused my hand to swell, it only lasted a couple of days.

My lad in his 24"x12"x12" tank. He's fully grown now.
DSCF5211.JPG

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I think milk snakes would be a good option. Sand boas are relatively small, as I recall, but they spend most of their time under the surface.

On YouTube check Wickens Wicked Reptiles he has a few videos about starter reptiles. He is a very thoughtful keeper and advocates for larger housing for reptiles.

Scorp

I'd be cleaning up and trying to make room for a bigger tank and get somthing your gonna be happy with. My sons ball python doesn't take up much room. My red tail boa on the other hand I found room and my wife hates it lol, I got a huge tank on the floor in my dinning room lol. If it is for a child, I would definitely consider a bio active set up to help cut down on tank maintenance. I don't know about your area but here I can get rescue a ball python with full set up like in my picture for $50.

Attachments

• 20211005_111504.jpg
    20211005_111504.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5

Latest posts