• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Goliath Tarantula Molt

Raymond1973

Just wanted to know if a Tarantula can molt again a few months ago. She's about 5 1/2 to 6 inches in leg span big belly nice and dark

Attachments

• 20190628_184812.jpg
    20190628_184812.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just wanted to know if a Tarantula can molt again a few months ago. She's about 5 1/2 to 6 inches in leg span big belly nice and dark

That looks like mold starting to grow on her or perhaps some kind of mite...the white stuff.....or is that water vapor? I can't really tell.... I've seen it on a few tarantulas. If it's mold or mites this will help with both (because alcohol will kill the mite and eradicate mold). I'm unsure as to what anyone else does with their tarantula in this situation but I have found that rubbing alcohol (yes, the kind you use on your boo boos) on a Q-tip helps tremendously. Gently rub the white places on the spider with the Qtip that has been submerged in rubbing alcohol. If it's on her book lungs do not rub them with the Qtip that has alcohol on it. Get a new Q tip and soak one end with warm tap water or bottle water. Squeeze the excess water out of it so that its just damp. Gently (ever so gently) rub the areas on and around the booklungs with this Qtip to try and remove whatever residue you can. Now, some folks might think you will endanger your T by doing this but I've done it SUCCESSFULLY every time. Also, do one book lung at a time.....and then allow that booklung to completely dry (but it seriously shouldn't get too wet because the Qtip should only be barely damp at this point) by gently blowing on it.....then, go to the other side and do the same. No, your T is not going to drown because once again, your Qtip is barely damp. I know this may seem invasive but sometimes doing things like this are better for the T and give it a higher chance at surviving things like this. Also, placing the tarantula in a completely dry area will help get rid of mites. Only thing you need in there is a water reservoir....I think @Arachnoclown knows a better way to get mites off your T if this is the case. Also, if this is mold, its the kind that grows aggressively on tarantulas and I've only seen it on tarantulas that require higher humidity environments. I tried zooming in on the pic to see exactly which it is......but I can't tell. This is only advice I am giving you because it is a method I have used time and again. There may be other methods better than mine and I'm sure other folks will pitch in. This is from my personal experience relating to your situation. Hope I helped a little. :)

If that's water vapor on her legs and abdomen then yes, it is possible for a tarantula to molt within a few months apart....some even less time than that given the temp and feeding cycle. Usually, warmer temps and power feeding will trigger a molt.

Last edited:

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Is she still alive?

What do you mean is she still alive? Is she lethargic? You haven't noticed any movement? Take a small paint brush or tongs and gently rub the back of her hind legs with it to see if she moves....Theraphosa are a bit skittish so if you touch her I'm certain she's gonna bail on you and maybe even throw a few urticating hair.

Last edited:

Raymond1973

Just took another photo and she's been in this same position for 2 days, I've touched her leg and abdomen and no response. I don't understand what I've done wrong she's in a 40 gallon terrarium with live moss she's been eating awesome also just had a superb molt always clean water humidity between 60 and 80 temperature at night about 70 degrees and in the daytime 80-84 degrees.

Attachments

• 20190629_095343.jpg
    20190629_095343.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • 15618168329843039381340239458230.jpg
    15618168329843039381340239458230.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 44
  • 15618168754126462544713215702469.jpg
    15618168754126462544713215702469.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 39
  • 1561816912005328549251096543172.jpg
    1561816912005328549251096543172.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 38

Raymond1973

What do you mean is she still alive? Is she lethargic? You haven't noticed any movement? Take a small paint brush or tongs and gently rub the back of her hind legs with it to see if she moves....Theraphosa are a bit skittish so if you touch her I'm certain she's gonna bail on you and maybe even throw a few urticating hair.
I've touched her abdomen and nudged a bit one of her hind legs with my hand and nothing, She's been in this position for 2 days now I'm afraid I've lost her

Raymond1973

Flip her over and place some drops of water on her mouth. Just in case shes severely dehydrated. That's about all you can do for her...

Raymond1973New Member
Just took another photo and she's been in this same position for 2 days, I've touched her leg and abdomen and no response. I don't understand what I've done wrong she's in a 40 gallon terrarium with live moss she's been eating awesome also just had a superb molt always clean water humidity between 60 and 80 temperature at night about 70 degrees and in the daytime 80-84 degrees.
Attached Files:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Dragging it...if they get too fat they cant lift their abdomen off the ground when they walk. That's one way. That cork tube sticking up could do it as well. Many different scenarios may have occured. Sorry for your loss man.:(