• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ghost Mantis

E

ExMember

Awesome @Tarantulabas1993 ! I wish we could buy mantis in my country. We can only keep green asian mantis and they only sell ooths. So if I got an ooth it would be hatching 40-400! That's a lot of mouths to feed!

E

ExMember

I had some and they were so little they did shy away from Hydei. Those actual were too “big”. Small melanogaster did the trick. :)

How many melanogaster do you feed? I'm wanting to get some mantids but 400 seems a bit much. Guess I'd keep 10 and let the rest loose in my yard (strangely legal as the only place to buy mantis is gardening stores). Wouldn't expect many to survive though. We have lots of insectivores here.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
In the beginning I was happy when they ate one. Then after a while they eat 2or 3 at a time. You can keep fruit flies alive on a piece of banana for a long time...

thebookman10

Yeah if you want to keep Giant Asian Mantis go for it. I started out in the mantis hobby with a female ghost mantis, who is currently L3 and who I hope to breed. Ghost mantis are easy to keep communally, and if fed well will not try to eat each other, even after mating. Mantis are really good pest control, they eat all the insects which would otherwise decrease farmers' profits so they are often sold in gardening stores. Buy an ooth, and hatch it out. You should invest in buying a culture of flightless fruit flies, the culture will reproduce and you can easily start new cultures once the old one dies out using survivors from the old culture. You should feed all your mantis thrice a week for 1 week, then ask around for any local farmers who would like some mantis to help deal with any pest problems they have. Sell off all of the excess mantis, or you could give them away for free. PM me for more details as the sun is currently rising on a new day and I need to get some sleep.

Latest posts