• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting a Tarantula?

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi guys! I'm new, and I'm thinking about getting a tarantula in the future. I wanted to know, 1. what the best type of tarantula would be for beginners. 2. what name i should give it. 3. some tips for taking care of it. Thank you in advance for the help!

Hello Grayson and welcome to the forum! :)

#1. Here are a few species that are good for beginners:

G. pulchra
C. cyaneopubescens
A. avicularia
C. versicolor
L. parahybana
G. porteri

#2. Name them whatever you want! It's at your imaginations discretion, lol. Name them after movie characters, Nascar drivers, astronomy, Greek mythology....so many things you could name them! :)

#3. Tarantulas require 3 basic needs. Food, water and shelter. The shelters will vary with size and type of tarantula. You have arboreal tarantulas. These are your tree dwellers. The require more height and less floor space. You have terrestrials, too. They require more floor space and less height. Then, you have the subterranean that require more depth in substrate and some floor space when they decide to "pop up" and say hello. :) All 3 of these types of tarantulas require a different setup. You can get some ideas here on the forum or online (google) as to what the setups could be decorated like. Also, I have a couple of the species listed above available for sale. :) Hope this helps!

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would add the following 2 species for a new keeper:. G. pulchripes, and forgotten way too much, but probably the most docile large T: E. campestratus. My first T was A. chalcodes, another good beginner T.

Jim_in_PA

Hey Grayson, I would recommend these to you as a beginner :

1. Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens (GBB Green bottle blue)
2. Tiltocatl Albopilosum (Curly hair)
3. Tiltocatl Vagans
4. Brachypelma Hamorii
5. Brachypelma Boehmei
6. Brachypelma Auratum
7. Lasiodora parahybana
8. Grammostola Porteri
9. Grammostola Pulchra
10. Grammostola Actaeon

I would choose a name after you decide to get one and see the way it acts.

nbm02ss

3 Year Member
What would you like out of your first T?

Do you want an aggressive feeding response?
Are you cool with it possibly disappearing and not eating for long periods of time?
How big, or little, do you want your first T to be?
Fast grower, or slow grower?

If you want a large, fast growing bug murdering machine I'd go with an Acanthoscurria species or Grammostola iheringi/acteaon. If you want a colorful dwarf that isn't going to require large housing requirements but has tons of personality I'd go with Cyriocosmus genus. Something in between? C. cyaneopubescens. All of these are hardy and easy to care for and shouldn't have you second guessing your husbandry.

Jim_in_PA

Are you cool with it possibly disappearing and not eating for long periods of time?

If you want a large, fast growing bug murdering machine I'd go with an Acanthoscurria species or Grammostola iheringi/acteaon. If you want a colorful dwarf that isn't going to require large housing requirements but has tons of personality I'd go with Cyriocosmus genus. Something in between? C. cyaneopubescens. All of these are hardy and easy to care for and shouldn't have you second guessing your husbandry.

Grammostola Actaeon are quite the T's. I grabbed one without even knowing anything about them and this T has been one of the funnest for me to feed. It is a beast and goes absolutely crazy trying to catch a cricket.

1: no
2: that would be fine
3: medium to large
4: I don't really care