• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Genus/Species?

awareman

3 Year Member
Hey all, I rescued this T a couple months ago from a pet store and I'm unsure as to what it is. The only description it had was "Birdeater." I was thinking possibly a Theraphosa? Any ideas or guesses as to species? Am I wrong in thinking a Theraphosa? Thanks in advance!
20190216_141947.jpg
20190216_141944.jpg
20190216_141919.jpg

awareman

3 Year Member
Looks quite similar to my Selenocosmia Crassipes.

If that's the case I'm going to have to make some changes to it's housing. From what I've read they are a burrowing species, and need deep substrate. I've had trouble getting it to eat anything but crickets. What do you feed yours?

T-Baby

3 Year Member
If that's the case I'm going to have to make some changes to it's housing. From what I've read they are a burrowing species, and need deep substrate. I've had trouble getting it to eat anything but crickets. What do you feed yours?

Mine eats crickets, isn’t interested in roaches. They’re very secretive and shy meant to burrow but mine never has she’s just webbed up a lot which includes her water dish.
Some characteristics for comparison to yours, she is extremely skittish, never thrown a threat posture. I’ve never heard this fantastic ‘bark/whistling’ thing they’re supposed to do either.
Mine is also a confirmed female, the colouration seems to differ slightly and looking at both, yours is more leggy.
With that in mind you could possibly have a Male Crassipes but then again you could also have a completely different T but I’m pretty certain it isn’t a bird eater..

awareman

3 Year Member
Mine eats crickets, isn’t interested in roaches. They’re very secretive and shy meant to burrow but mine never has she’s just webbed up a lot which includes her water dish.
Some characteristics for comparison to yours, she is extremely skittish, never thrown a threat posture. I’ve never heard this fantastic ‘bark/whistling’ thing they’re supposed to do either.
Mine is also a confirmed female, the colouration seems to differ slightly and looking at both, yours is more leggy.
With that in mind you could possibly have a Male Crassipes but then again you could also have a completely different T but I’m pretty certain it isn’t a bird eater..

Mine is very aggressive and is quick to throw a threat posture. You're right about it being leggy, so it could quite possibly be a male. I'm really unsure. I've looked at countless photos and it looks very similar to a Selenocosmia, but then there are some variations in the color and patterns that make me think otherwise. You are most likely correct though; thats what I'm going with.

Latest posts