• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GBBs are Mini Heart Attacks

Accepted

For the first few days we had our GBB, she wasn't very responsive to us. I could open and close her enclosure with no problem. I could easily remove things from her enclosure or add things. She didn't bolt at all.

But now, the minute she knows the door is open, she bolts upwards. And she's a quick little thing so you can barely close the lid in time.

She could just be getting into her hunting position on/near her web because she thinks there is food and not trying to escape, but the web is close to the top of the enclosure so it's hard to tell her plans. *lol*

Either way, my heart goes nuts. I have no idea how to grab her water dish now as we only have a sliding door on top of the enclosure.

Lentulus

3 Year Member
Mine is pretty curious as well. I’ve noticed that when she’s feeding on something, she couldn’t care less about what I’m doing in the enclosure. I toss her a bug, WAIT till she has it, and then work. Also, I use long tongs for it all. When not feeding for premolt or some reason, I have a syringe like you get with children’s cough medicine that I use. That way I can just crack the top, squirt, and get outta there.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My Gbbs all run up when you disturb them. This is their safe space. They are a semi arboreal that build webs up high and tunnels to hunt from down low.

20171130_171252.jpg

Accepted

Mine is pretty curious as well. I’ve noticed that when she’s feeding on something, she couldn’t care less about what I’m doing in the enclosure. I toss her a bug, WAIT till she has it, and then work. Also, I use long tongs for it all. When not feeding for premolt or some reason, I have a syringe like you get with children’s cough medicine that I use. That way I can just crack the top, squirt, and get outta there.
I've been using a turkey baster to remove and refill the water. I tried to do things when she's feeding, but she still reacts.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Be prepared for top runners with the lid and see if you can direct them right back in and down.

Of all the runners I've ever had, most didn't go far once breaching the opening except for Pseudoclamoris burgessi, he went across the room but then waited to be cupped.

Accepted

Be prepared for top runners with the lid and see if you can direct them right back in and down.

Of all the runners I've ever had, most didn't go far once breaching the opening except for Pseudoclamoris burgessi, he went across the room but then waited to be cupped.
I usually have my son holding a lid overtop of where she is in case she tries.

Latest posts