• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GBB

bioteknik

Morning all. Quick question..I have a 2 year old GBB (believed female but hmmmm maybe not). Last moult maybe 3 months back, since when this spider has webbed into a corner and is more or less refusing food. Odd behaviour - any ideas.
gbb.JPG

Its maybe a poor photo - I will try and get a better one.
Maybe the angle. I’ve crushed crickets heads ( to be safe) and left them in my enclosures to see if they come out and eat, instead of tong feeding checking in on them after a while to see if they took the prey or not. Some of my T’s just don’t like to eat with an audience.

Hi
Is she comming out and about?Have you seen her near the waterdish?
Is the substrate moist or dry?
Regards Konstantin
Hi
Is she comming out and about?Have you seen her near the waterdish?
Is the substrate moist or dry?
Regards Konstantin
Can’t really tell in the photo but GBB are kept pretty dry. They don’t need allot of humidity or moisture.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
That was why I was asking.Quite a few tarantula will go up on the sides if substrate is too moist for their liking.
Also the other questions I asked is because my juvenile female stayed in her hide like that for 2 weeks after her last moult without moving at all.Not even to go to drink to the waterdish that is 15 cm away from her.I put water on the webbing and the substrate near the entrance of her hide just in case to give her another option and she was drinking from the substrate in less than an hour.That confirmed my thoughts about not getting out at all.Then I did it few more times every other day and when I offered a pray item she started pouncing on it and missing it few times but she ended up near the water dish and started drinking almost instantly when she felt the water.She dealt with the cricket shortly after.Now she is still spending most time in her hide during the dsy but I catch her out and about regularly.
The main thing after amoult is to give it option for a good drink.Food comes well after.
Try dripping(spraying) water near her if you not seen her move about.And as suggested crush cricket head and leave it near her tunnel entrance.
Regards Konstantin

bioteknik

Maybe the angle. I’ve crushed crickets heads ( to be safe) and left them in my enclosures to see if they come out and eat, instead of tong feeding checking in on them after a while to see if they took the prey or not. Some of my T’s just don’t like to eat with an audience.
Ah thats a great idea I will give it a go.

bioteknik

Can’t really tell in the photo but GBB are kept pretty dry. They don’t need allot of humidity or moisture.
Hi there. Yes I keep the substrate very dry. There is a water dish but Ive never observed this T anywhere near it. She occasionally has a bit of a wonder around but mostly just hangs up there in the corner.

bioteknik

Hi
That was why I was asking.Quite a few tarantula will go up on the sides if substrate is too moist for their liking.
Also the other questions I asked is because my juvenile female stayed in her hide like that for 2 weeks after her last moult without moving at all.Not even to go to drink to the waterdish that is 15 cm away from her.I put water on the webbing and the substrate near the entrance of her hide just in case to give her another option and she was drinking from the substrate in less than an hour.That confirmed my thoughts about not getting out at all.Then I did it few more times every other day and when I offered a pray item she started pouncing on it and missing it few times but she ended up near the water dish and started drinking almost instantly when she felt the water.She dealt with the cricket shortly after.Now she is still spending most time in her hide during the dsy but I catch her out and about regularly.
The main thing after amoult is to give it option for a good drink.Food comes well after.
Try dripping(spraying) water near her if you not seen her move about.And as suggested crush cricket head and leave it near her tunnel entrance.
Regards Konstantin
Thank you very much for the help and advice. Much appreciated.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
You can leave the pray in for 24 hours before removing it.
Don't inow but if you thong feed is a hazard as tarantula can damage their fangs on the metal or even run up the tongs and tag you.
If you noticed her going down in certain areas you can move the dish in that area too
Regards Konstantin

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Mature females will often not eat for extended periods after molting, this is normal

Make sure she has access to clean water at all times and offer food once a week, remove if uneaten

Latest posts