• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GBB sling not eating

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
Hi everyone ! :)

As a big fan of spiders, I purchased my first one (GBB sling) on spiderworld.eu
20170927_115630.jpg
But here's my source of worries. When she arrived, she was already in premolt and then she molted the following day (sunday). The thing is that we're thursday and she's still not webbing around, refusing each roach I'm giving to her (and kicking hair eventually). So I am confused. She travelled to my country for 5 days, but still not hungry.. (knowing that her fangs looks black now) So I was wondering, may I have done something wrong until now ? Maybe she needs time, maybe she dont like Red runner roaches ? Or maybe the enclosure is too big. I wish someone could help me, as I feel a bit powerless here

(here a pic of the enclosure, as you can see, no webs)
1506593157713317238094.jpg

Sorry that's a long post, but thanks to join me some answers.

Bye ☺️

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome.:)
A tarantula often needs time to settle into its new home, add to that the stress of moulting and I'm not really surprised it's not feeding yet. Give it a few more days and then try feeding again, you could try it on a small cricket.

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
Hello ! Time seems to be a good answer, As I wont be able to feed her by Friday until monday, I'll just let her settle and see in few days, I would not like her (or him) to starve.

Ps : Isnt the enclosure too big ? (because it seems to me.. Could it make the webbing harder ?)

Thanks for answering by the way ;)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Time seems to be a good answer, As I wont be able to feed her by Friday until monday, I'll just let her settle and see in few days, I would not like her (or him) to starve.

Thanks for answering by the way ;)

As long as it has water and its abdomen doesn't look shrivelled it should be fine.

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
Ok, thanks :)

One more thing, is it important to moist one corner of the enclosure ? And is the mold a problem for spiders ? I am afraid that humidity makes mold grow inside the enclosure.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ok, thanks :)

One more thing, is it important to moist one corner of the enclosure ? And is the mold a problem for spiders ? I am afraid that humidity makes mold grow inside the enclosure.

You can overflow the water bowl occasionally but allow the substrate to dry out in between. As you have plenty ventilation mould should not be a problem.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That enclosure might be a bit big. I'd wait to feed it till this weekend. See if it has an easy time catching the roach/cricket/etc. If it doesn't you might want to downsize the enclosure.

Like @Enn49 said time is key. Specially after it molted. Usually 2 or 3 weeks they need to settle in and start webbing. You need to add a hide to that enclosure also, that may help it settle in.

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
About the enclosure size, that's what I was thinking of. It seems that she started to web in a corner (almost invisible to the naked eyes). But arent the after-molt time shorter for a sling ? I'll try with a small cricket on sunday. Otherwise I'll wait a bit, if nothing changes maybe going to a rehousing. Thanks ☺️

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
About the enclosure size, that's what I was thinking of. It seems that she started to web in a corner (almost invisible to the naked eyes). But arent the after-molt time shorter for a sling ? I'll try with a small cricket on sunday. Otherwise I'll wait a bit, if nothing changes maybe going to a rehousing. Thanks ☺️
Yep it is, but they can go weeks without eating, so why rush it? I usually give my slings a week after molt, juvies 2 weeks, adults 3 weeks. if they don't eat it by the following morning i remove it and try again a week later.

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
Okay, I'll try to add some hides, I'm still not used to such animals, always afraid to make them starve to death but it seems it is hard to. That is some precious advices you guys gave me. Thanks ! :)

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
Hi again !

I finally came back to my home, and look at what I've found, I've seen these kind of cups were frequently used as slings enclosure.
So I thought I could drill some holes all around the side, placing a bark in the middle with some moist substrate and a water dish.. Eventually a fake plant like the one I used on the first picture.
If nothing happened til' sunday, should I rehouse him (or her) into this ? (knowing that the T is about 2,5 cm legspan.

GBB enclosure .png

See ya , thanks for helping me :)

Attachments

• GBB enclosure .jpg
    GBB enclosure .jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14

corij

3 Year Member
i like your original enclosure. as said above just give it time and dont keep opening the lid as it unsettles them. i personally would put in a very small prey with a bit of food for the prey to eat and leave it be . those gbb sometimes take a day to catch their prey is my observation