• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GBB , moisture or no moisture?

maudie

3 Year Member
I have a 5 inch female as of recently and have read that GBB's tend to like it bone dry, but I have also read that they need humidity. So which is it? Should I mist her substrate a bit or continue to keep it dry? She does have a shallow water dish, though!

Ghost

3 Year Member
I keep all my GBB's on dry substrate and a water dish no spraying misting what so ever and there all doing fine,As long as you keep the water dish full at al times then that takes care of humidity but don't get hung up on the percentages GBB's don't really need a lot of humidity anything between 50-60. % is fine for them.......

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No misting for GBBs, unless it's a sling, and then only a little moisture. Water dish is all they need as adults, they are a dry species, and spiders get most of their moisture from prey. Humidity is not a factor. Hope this helps :)

Will

3 Year Member
I mist my GBB lightly about once every month and it spends about half an hour drinking the little water droplets off the web. I've never seen it drink from its dish.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yup, I have to agree with the others. Bone dry substrate with a water dish. If they web it over (and they likely will), you can pour a bit of water onto the web once a week or so (it's waterproof, and low spots will collect water like a dish).

There is no need to worry about humidity with this species. If you can find some really old husbandry sheets for GBBs, you'll find folks talking about how they are fragile and can die easily. That was because people were keeping them on moist substrate in an effort to keep the humidity up. Once keepers switched to dry, they were thriving.

This is a very hardy tarantula with very simple husbandry. :)

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Keep mine dry as well and just overflow his water dish from time to time. Unlike some of the others sharing here I have seen mine drink both off his web and his water dish on a regular basis and he's one of my best eaters :) he/she is finally coming into it's colors- I can see the blue just beneath the exo, I am thinking one more molt and BAM! hahahahaha

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Dry dry dry. I have mine with a small water bowl, and I sometimes drip water on the web. It thrives
Same here. By large, I meant a dish large enough for an adult to fit its body into, say 3-4" diameter. A smaller dish will make difficult for the T to submerge its "face" to get a drink.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
hahahaha def. keep us updated! I must say the last week or so all of my T's have been little pigs which I absolutely love. I think tonight I will try and snap a few pictures and post them tomorrow- I think you should do the same @RedCapTrio
Quite the same scene for my Ts Stace. Pia is also frustrated right now as it can not catch the male rusty red inside its enclosure. It has been a couple of days already. It has been hiding underneath one of the branches and the webbing kind of made it difficult for Pia to freely move around. Now talk about irony. :)