• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G. Pulchripes sling!

MICHAEL BIRCH

3 Year Member
Okay, 2 or 3 days after I got my G pulchripes sling, it decided to burrow down to the bottom of it's enclosure and create a little chamber and blocked off the entrance. The first couple feedings I just opened up the tunnel and dropped in a cricket and it would eat it no problem and then it resealed it's tunnel. Until yesterday I attempted to feed him and he rejected the cricket for the first time. I know it isn't going to starve itself. Should I just leave it alone or continue to try to feed him as long as he eats? Is this possibly pre-molt?

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Leave it be. Give it a week or two to settle and make a home for itself. If it isnt premolt it will surface and be ready to eat again.

MICHAEL BIRCH

3 Year Member
Okay, he's been like this the last 2 weeks, and I was just a little surprized he rejected food for the first time like that, when he's normally a really good eater!

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When I bought my two slings years ago (about .4" or so) both ate a couple times, then burrowed and sealed themselves up for most of the winter (from about late November to March or so). They both re-emerged at that point hungry and ready to eat. I have a sling now who has been buried for a month, and I'm guessing the little guy will be AWOL for a while. When they do this, it's totally natural for them (although it can obviously worry a keeper). I would just let him be until he opens the den again.

As a general rule, if a tarantula closes up the entrance of its burrow, either with webbing or substrate, you don't want to force food into it. By closing it off, they're essentially putting up the "do not disturb" sign and are not eating at the moment. At best, you'll disturb the spider; at worst, you'll shove a prey item into its burrow while it's molting, and that could cost you a spider.

MICHAEL BIRCH

3 Year Member
Well, I guess I'll leave him alone for the time being then. Nice to know they burrow for the winter months. That puts my mind a bit more at ease!

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well, I guess I'll leave him alone for the time being then. Nice to know they burrow for the winter months. That puts my mind a bit more at ease!

Mine did it two years in a row. I won't lie...the first year they did it, I was worried as they were so small. However, they're still alive and well and doing great! :)

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine did it two years in a row. I won't lie...the first year they did it, I was worried as they were so small. However, they're still alive and well and doing great! :)
I wish I could say the same about my genic. But here's hoping that I will find it safely burrowed in a tunnel in the substrate when I get home from work. I feel so down about not finding it this morning. :(

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wish I could say the same about my genic. But here's hoping that I will find it safely burrowed in a tunnel in the substrate when I get home from work. I feel so down about not finding it this morning. :(
I wouldn't worry too much. It's large enough you'd be able to see it when it comes out, and it could be doing the winter hibernation thing or molting. My G. pulchripes burrowed down and closed his burrow off the evening he arrived and hasn't been seen since. He's the same size as your genic. Frustrating isn't it?

However the substrate is moist to allow for good burrowing and i keep the water dish full every night. I've found that after they burrow down and close off the entrance(s) on these tiny slings it's quite hard to find the burrow as the tailings look just like the substrate. Larger slings you can easily tell the tailings from the burrow vs the substrate.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wouldn't worry too much. It's large enough you'd be able to see it when it comes out, and it could be doing the winter hibernation thing or molting. My G. pulchripes burrowed down and closed his burrow off the evening he arrived and hasn't been seen since. He's the same size as your genic. Frustrating isn't it?

However the substrate is moist to allow for good burrowing and i keep the water dish full every night. I've found that after they burrow down and close off the entrance(s) on these tiny slings it's quite hard to find the burrow as the tailings look just like the substrate. Larger slings you can easily tell the tailings from the burrow vs the substrate.
Thanks @kormath That certainly made me more hopeful in the prospect of finding that lost T. :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks @kormath That certainly made me more hopeful in the prospect of finding that lost T. :)
Glad i could help :) The only indication that my G. pulchripes didn't escape is the small mound of dirt blocking up the hide, and it looks identical to the rest of the substrate. She took the pinhead in with her and blocked the door ;) Some kinda kinky affair going on there.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I spread out the substrate on the table to no avail. Marbles is gone. Contacted the supplier and he said he got some available. With a heavy heart, I will just have to replace my genic. :(

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I guess there are times that these little slings just aren't meant to live. It was so small and yet it molted once with me. :oops: :(

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry to hear this :( Any idea how it escaped? I had my rosea in one of the sling enclosure from Jamies with the screen vent on the top and didn't notice the screen wasn't connected on 3 strands. I came home one evening and went to look in on the T's and the rosea was sitting on top of her enclosure on the screen. She must have just found the hole. So now the screen is hot glued in place and the top has been swapped with another enclosure housing a little bit larger T.

MICHAEL BIRCH

3 Year Member
I think I just confirmed my G. pulchripes is actually in premolt and not just hibernating. When I checked on it this morning like I always do to make sure he's okay, when I shined the light on him instead of having a bit of a transparent look to him, he was considerably darker all over his body!