• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G. Pulchra slings

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Most tiny slings will burrow but are they feeding? I have some that I never see but their food disappears overnight.

Mr. P

3 Year Member
I have one in a clear container that burrowed down about four inches and created a little cavern. They closed up the shaft to get down there but I can see them and is still moving around

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I really don't like to dig them up or disturb them too much once they've settled in. Here is what I would do: Get a cricket or roach that is about 1/2 an inch. Smash the head, cut the legs off and cut it in half. Leave the two halves on opposite ends of the enclosure before you go to bed, and take a picture for reference. Then, in the morning, check to see if either half is gone or moved. If it is gone or moved, then your little guy is just dug in and comfortable. If not, he's either in the process of molting, or there might be a problem.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fruit flies are only good for Ts that are feeding for the first time...a few days after becoming 2nd instars. Small pinhead roaches are the best or even pinhead crickets. I wouldn't dig them up...if the burrow is open they are probably feeding. If it's closed...premolt. Chances are they are out at night...in the dark when your sleeping and you don't see them.

yeahhtrue

3 Year Member
My two pulchra slings are doing the same, I wouldn’t worry. Small slings will often burrow. I have caught mine above the surface a few times but mainly I don’t see them. For feeding I have been cutting up super worms and leaving a piece for each sling. I’ve seen them scavenge those. Eventually they’ll get a little bigger and they’ll be more likely to stay visible.

SpoodLover

3 Year Member
Fruit flies are only good for Ts that are feeding for the first time...a few days after becoming 2nd instars. Small pinhead roaches are the best or even pinhead crickets. I wouldn't dig them up...if the burrow is open they are probably feeding. If it's closed...premolt. Chances are they are out at night...in the dark when your sleeping and you don't see them.

Thank you, I was told to feed them fruit flies, but I can't see them and I found one that was dead and moldy :( I ended up digging up both of my slings, I was really paranoid after finding the moldy fly. I'm going to start feeding them pinhead crickets. I tried some cut up pieces of a cricket, but they didn't take it. They have been eating the fruit flies though.

The plus side of digging them up was I found that both had moulted! Thank you for the help!

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I only have two Ts, one of my slings passed away :( I have a 1/2 inch Pulchra and a 2 inch Rosea. Can I let just a few? Would i be better off finding a local distributor? Or should i have a supply on hand?
Best to use cut up mealworms or prekilled crickets for the sling and live mealworms or superworms for the juvie. With only two tarantulas you don't need a large supply.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I always take the "TRex approach" to feeding. let me explain...the classic that is Jurassic Park had a line in it when they attempt to offer a goat to the TRex, but shows no initial interest. the line that follows applies to spiders..."TRex doesn't want to be fed, she wants to HUNT". So, as long as the appropriate size live prey is offered, chances are, your little fella will take it. Naturally if appropriate live prey cannot be offered, by all means pre kill.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For anyone reading this and researching, look at yeahtrue's and Phil's posts. Basically this. Cut up superworms are fantastic for tiny slings, they'll perch on them and feed like baby lions :D After that, any appropriately sized roach or cricket(bleh!) will do. Whether or not you have 40 tarantulas, a dubia or red runner colony is a fantastic resource. Easy to keep, and if the colony get's too big, guess what? You can sell the excess off and make money for more tarantulas..