• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G Porteri breeding.

Grandsouls

Hello everyone!
I am expecting a mature male G. Porteri in the male tomorrow! I am told he fully matured about 8 months ago and has laid 2 sperm webs, and was just starting third when he got shipped.
My female is fully mature at about 15-20 years ( Not sure how old..I got her fully mature about 11 years ago now )
I am looking for some advice on breeding these two.
I am aware of cooling periods etc, female has gone through that, and I have also been feeding her as much as she will take this last month, and shes been doing good. I have also successfully figured out a effective way of breeding crickets in preparation, I should be having new born crickets available every week once my colonies get going appropriately.

Main concerns are ( If successful of course ) :
1. Egg sack requirements IE humidity needs inside enclosure. Do they follow same rules as the adults, or do I need to raise humidity at all?
2. When to pull sack, after laying with a slower growing species, do they have longer time to mature in sack. I was thinking 30-35 days?
3. Essential : When can I introduce the male after receiving him? I have seen some youtuber's unbox and immediately introduce them, on google cant find any information. I am assuming I will want to introduce him fairly quickly as he just started laying sperm webs again. And right away seems awfully stressful on the poor fella. Anyone have recommendation? I was thinking of letting him rest few days and offer few meals? He has been eating and very healthy I have been in contact with his previous owner for quite some time now.

Thank you!

Grandsouls

Also is there a estimate for this species size for egg sack?
I know maturity and size plays a big role. I don't know if shes ever laid before, in my time of caring for her no.. But with time I got her and size I am assuming she was wild caught and maybe before she had in the wild, I don't know.

Thanks

Grandsouls

Looks like it will be held off anyway. Visited my girl was going to give her worm.
I had dropped the worm then noticed her booty is starting to look flaky so i removed it from her cage, when I did I also noticed she layed out a bed ( She NEVER webs or lays bed, only time I remember her doing this was once when substrate was too moist and once when she molted..Its been years so about time! ) She ate like bad last few weeks and few days ago, was drinking for several minutes. So I believe she is about to molt! Which would be excellent then no loss or chance of loss of sperm will happen

Grandsouls

thumbnail_image2.jpg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That would be a question better asked of @Arachnoclown but I suspect just to make sure the union is successful
If you had a successful pairing with insertion theres no need to risk your male anymore. This way hes still available if she molts out instead. Otherwise He will just end up being a meal once she is anoid with his presence.

Grandsouls

She has grown very irritable if I come close to her lid she will kick hairs. Cleaned her water dish and she was kicking hairs when I came in and laying webs all over the place, and moving substrate around. Never seen such weird behaviour from her before.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She has grown very irritable if I come close to her lid she will kick hairs. Cleaned her water dish and she was kicking hairs when I came in and laying webs all over the place, and moving substrate around. Never seen such weird behaviour from her before.
That's your sign...stay away. She should be moved somewhere quite and dark. Cover her enclosure up and leave her be. The more she is stressed the less likely she will drop and just molt out.

Grandsouls

That's your sign...stay away. She should be moved somewhere quite and dark. Cover her enclosure up and leave her be. The more she is stressed the less likely she will drop and just molt out.

Cover Her up with towel?
She’s in quiet “unused” room Ye.
Gets bit sunshine but is basement.
But you literally mean black her out?

Grandsouls

update for this girl, nothing new has happened yet, no large amount of growth, she has ate a lot though so that is good sign! She has eaten a total of 2 super worms and fully mature female crickets. About her normal yearly feedings haha, so I think that may be a sign that something good is to come soon!,

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The more she eats before dropping the sac the lower the chance she'll eat her ewls. Be prepared to pull it regardless when the time is right.

Grandsouls

The more she eats before dropping the sac the lower the chance she'll eat her ewls. Be prepared to pull it regardless when the time is right.
Just ate 3 more today.
Damn pigggy her belly is fatter than I’ve ever seen before
Is there a limit? I’m worried she’s gonna wanna kilt soon

Latest posts