• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Future LP enclosure thoughts plz

Nurse Ratchet

Hoping to pick up an LP in the next few weeks. I figure it will take 2 yrs to reach adulthood, but I bought a tank on sale for $60, usually $169, thinking as an adult it would be an ok home. I've planted 20 inches, leaving the last 10 plant free for hide, dry area, and burrowing spot if it desires. That area is currently bare- hoping to find cheap cork rounds at repticon. The plants will have plenty of time (um, 2 years-ish) to become strong, so the LP shouldn't be able to destroy them with it's weight, and the creeping fig should have covered the background.
My question to any with LP experience: do you think this enclosure will make it comfortable/happy/thrive once it's all grown up? I want happy, healthy T's.

Attachments

• IMG_20220103_031630412.jpg
    IMG_20220103_031630412.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Looks beautiful. You have a few years for the tank to establish.

What's species plants did you include and why a drainage layer? Don't you use BioDude substrate?

Reptisect

3 Year Member
Beautiful enclosure. My experience with my Lasiodora parahybana and klugi is that they can be quite destructive. Don't get offended if they redecorate a bit. At least They aren't as bad as Grammostola.
Oh yeah, Grammostolas. The destroyer of backgrounds, chewer of plants, flipper of water dishes.

Nurse Ratchet

Watched "The Dude's signature substrates 101" video. He recommends drainage layer with the aranea when using deep rooted plants and with the larger "bird eater" T's varieties. The aranea info starts at about 16:30 into video.
Both the parlor fern and calanthe that will have a deep root system. The rest I just propagated from other tanks, so if they're destroyed, I'm only out the $7 for the palm and $6 for the calanthe.
Tank contains:
1 calanthe
1 parlor fern
3 Creeping fig; standard, variegated, and mini oak leaf
1 begonia rex
1 birds foot fern
1 white vein nerve plant clump
3 pink vein nerve plant (single stems)
3 pepperoni (single stems)
1 Jade pothos clipping
1 patch tiny Tim selaginella
Some dwarf white and dairy cow isopods and springtails
It's planted heavily intentionally as there is a potential for an 11 inch fall in some places. I wanted a soft fluffy landing just in case that ever happens. The "T side", 10x12, will remain bare minus hide, with a slope of 7 inches substrate.

Tarantulafeets

Enclosure looks a bit tall, my big girl likes to wander around at night, climbing the walls, and a fall might be fatal, especially for a heavy bodied terrestrial so adding some more substrate won't hurt. Also, you should add a waterdish, my girl likes to take long drinks quite often. Otherwise it looks amazing.

Nurse Ratchet

Enclosure looks a bit tall, my big girl likes to wander around at night, climbing the walls, and a fall might be fatal, especially for a heavy bodied terrestrial so adding some more substrate won't hurt. Also, you should add a waterdish, my girl likes to take long drinks quite often. Otherwise it looks amazing.
Thank you! Appreciate all the advice I can get. I was concerned about height, but couldn't beat the enclosure price. There is a full 11 inches between the top and very front due to the ventilation strip, but it is slopped up to the back and my hope is the plants would cushion any fall. They have time to fill out if they thrive.
Ran out of substrate- more otw. Plan to pile it as deep as I can to the right side.
Ordered some non-toxic pottery clay for some new diy water dish ideas I'm thinking about too.

Nurse Ratchet

Needs way more substrate for a large-bodied terrestrial. Pretty plants will probably be shredded by the new tenant.
Ran out of substrate. More otw. Figure if the plants get shredded, so be it, I get to replan and redecorate! Yay! I have a back up 10 gallon with Plexi lid already fitted if this doesn't pan out, but I really don't care for the top opening enclosure.
Future goal is learn to make my own tanks. Front opening, side and top vents, and lifting the front vent strip up a few inches to allow for immediate deeper substrate instead of having to slope it.
Why these aren't a readily available thing is beyond me...

Latest posts