• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First unexpected Eggsack failed?!?!

Ssimonds12

So I supposedly bought three juvinile avic avic from an online exotic store ( I bought all my animals from there and I've always had a good experience) anyway one of them was pretty big and very round when I got it overnight delivery I assumed she was in premolt but no three days later her whole enclosure was webbed and she had a beautiful Eggsack in her grip I was so excited while I've always wanted to breed and I planned on it in the future I wasn't quite prepared so I started doing more and more research I assumed it was probably a phantom sac but when I pulled it 32 days later it had 82 eggs with legs wiggling all over inside I was so excited I put one shorter deli cup inside a tall one with a quarter inch of water holes in the bottom of the smaller cup and damp paper towels inside as my incubator and kept it in a room at about 80 °f and I noticed there first instar the were eating each other like alot about twenty died in the first day from siblings taking a bite on them and they leaked out and died so after about a week over half had eaten the other half I mean they were going so quickly and as I did more research it said not to feed them until 2nd instar so I kept them well hydrated but it didn't help finally I got super small cups and the last 38 I separated in hopes that water and hydration would hold them till the molted to second instar and I could feed them needless to say they kept dying I stayed up night after night watching videos and reading and looking for info now there is seven heathly looking ones , one of them a few hrs ago molted to second instar but I don't know what happened I'm so sad I was so happy and optimistic when I found out it wasn't a phantom. Please I want advice what went wrong but please don't be mean I didn't intentially buy a pregnant female I don't think they wouldve gave her to me at that price if they knew she had paired but I did my best and I feel Aweful but I would when I'm more prepared try again in the future but not until I figure out why they all died I don't understand was it too humid was it not hot enough did I pull it too soon but they didn't die right away I don't understand please help

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You did what you could for them with the knowledge you obtained from research. I have produced several successful sacs and have noticed that some species (Ex: my A. seemani) eat each other. There's nothing you can do but allow nature to run its course when it comes to certain species. I know some people that separate them as soon as they become ewl's but most separate at second instar. Some say its best to allow sac to hatch with mom, which is the true way mother nature intended it to be. Different people have different outcomes. It's nothing you did or didn't do. It was just nature being nature. You should give yourself a pat on the back because even though there are only a few that survived, they are still alive because of the decisions you made. I'd say thats a pretty successful outcome! ;)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi
You should have separated them and started feeding after the first moult to prevent eating eachother.I have some T albopilosus babies that are going strong and had their first meal yesterday wich progress can find here.
Hope it helps.
Good news that you have few left tho.
Regards Konstantin

Mine always ate each other when they were ewl's. I've seen em' latch on to each other. ...fangs out and biting their sibling. Wasn't aware that you could feed them at the EWL stage....figured they'd be too fragile or their prey would end up eating/killing them...or do you mean feeding them the molt AFTER ewl stage? Which would be what we consider first instar....

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
my bad.I was thinking 1st instar is actually the 2nd moult after being eggs.I started feeding after the 2nd moult from eggs.Anyway while Im not experienced enough it make sense to separate as soon as predation occurs.
Regards Konstantin

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi
my bad.I was thinking 1st instar is actually the 2nd moult after being eggs.I started feeding after the 2nd moult from eggs.Anyway while Im not experienced enough it make sense to separate as soon as predation occurs.
Regards Konstantin

Some ewl's of mine never did that (certain species). For example: I never had a problem with my GBB or my chromatus sacs. My avics pretty much started munching as soon as they were ewl's...along with my seemani. I wonder if it's just a species thing or if it could be, in their natural habitat, "survival of the fittest" type of thing.

Ssimonds12

Thank you for your thoughts the ones left are I believe second instar looking like a real tarantula and still haven't eaten lve offered pre crushed and live I tried pin heads and spall small dubias and even a cut up super worm they've been molted for 6 days now . I hope I don't loose these ones too

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Congrats on the Avics that have made it this far. This genus (and Tapinauchenius) are known to be fragile until they cross the magical 1 inch threshhold. Personally, I have avoided Avic slings--I hate to see these beautiful creatures die.

Latest posts