• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding Tips?

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
I have a G. Rosea/Rose Hair. Previously, she would come out wandering for food or pouncing on the water bowl. A few months ago she stopped coming out into the open as much and has been staying on the shady side. Because my enclosure is too big, normally I drop a cricket in next to her when she's in the open so she can find it. I can't reach her when she's in the shady side. She's also been less interested in pouncing lately. She needs to eat, so any tips on how to entice her?

Also, what's a healthy, oversized, and dangerously small range of abdomen sizes, respectively?

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
She needs to eat, so any tips on how to entice her?

She actually may not need to eat. Rosehairs are famous for their long fasts (months, even a yesr sometimes). If you’ve been feeding it regularly and it is slowing down on eating it may just be premolt time.

It difficult to describe just how plump an abdomen should be but if you post a picture of your tarantula I’m sure people around here will give you a good opinion.

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
She actually may not need to eat. Rosehairs are famous for their long fasts (months, even a yesr sometimes). If you’ve been feeding it regularly and it is slowing down on eating it may just be premolt time.

It difficult to describe just how plump an abdomen should be but if you post a picture of your tarantula I’m sure people around here will give you a good opinion.
Yeah, I know about how rose hairs don't eat a lot, she hadn't eaten a lot before that and her abdomen seemed somewhat small. I think it was premolt, because I just found her on her back. I made a thread about it in general.