• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding a sling lats

foritxxar

3 Year Member
Hey all, just got my first sling a couple of days ago and attempted to feed it a pinhead lat. The sling is still ignoring food (stressed from it's postal adventure, I'd guess) and I can't remove the roach! It's made some kind of deal with Nugget and is living under it's hide. I can't get the roach out with lifting the hide up, which is generally a no-no. I've heard of people leaving lats and dubiad in T enclosures without problems, but I'm still worried. Do lats attack molting spiders?

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
I have had them in while a T molts before without harm but I wouldn't risk it. The times it had are roaches that I thought had been eaten but I saw them poking around after noticing the T had molted. As long as its not in the middle of molting lifting the hide isn't the end of the world, don't do make a habit of it but just get the roach out and leave it alone for a few days. You can offer it prekilled roaches for now untill it starts eating then you can avoid having to dig out roaches

foritxxar

3 Year Member
The problem seems to have solved itself... the lat met it's timely demise at the fangs of Nugget. In fact, I learned today my gf has also been feeding it so it's been getting double the lats; I'm thinking I was seeing a different roach in there every day and simply thought they were the same little guy. Here I was thinking it hadn't eaten at all when apparently Nugz was quite ravenous and has eaten at least three meals in as many days. I actually saw it's appetite firsthand today for the first time. :D

Thanks, though!

Attachments

• 20141101_020244.jpg
    20141101_020244.jpg
    955.9 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts